Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Advice Needed RJM Emerald/ Toms Modulus-86/Universal Buffer pre-amp/Alpair 7MS
Advice Needed RJM Emerald/ Toms Modulus-86/Universal Buffer pre-amp/Alpair 7MS
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2020, 02:19 AM   #1
Jerry86 is offline Jerry86  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Advice Needed RJM Emerald/ Toms Modulus-86/Universal Buffer pre-amp/Alpair 7MS

I hope this is the right place to post this, I am a complete novice, but have managed to build the RJM Emerald Phono stage with switch board, Toms' Modulus-86 along with his latest pre-amplifier with univeral buffer and a pair of Frugel Horns with the Alpair 7MS.

Everything works, but I have to turn the volume control nearly all the way up to get a reasonable volume from my speakers, but would still prefer it to be louder, but not ear splitting volumes. Hopefully someone here would be able to advise what I need to do to improve things.

If it helps the pre-amp is built with 26db gain and the phono cartridge sensitivity (Nagaoka MP-200) is 4mV.

Thanks

Last edited by Jerry86; 28th November 2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 28th November 2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Jerry86 is offline Jerry86  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Solved my own problem, not sure how exactly. I'd changed the premap from 20db gain to 26db gain but it still seemed quiet, unplugged everything, checked all connections, plugged it all back in and all is fine.
  Reply to this post

Advice Needed RJM Emerald/ Toms Modulus-86/Universal Buffer pre-amp/Alpair 7MSHide this!Advertise here!