How to parallel multiple power amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
896325d1606221144-parallel-multiple-power-amps-parallel-amps-jpg

Each paralleled amp equates the voltage of its resistor to be equal to the master's resistor. By this the output current is multiplied here by four. the main amp sees the load as Rload×4. The load sees the impedance of the main amp as Z/4.
Hayk

Attachments

• parallel amps.JPG
    parallel amps.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 865
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Parallel bridge configuration is widely used to get high power amplifiers by using small chips. The LM1875 gives its best with 8 ohms 15 watts only.
Bellow is the impedance that sees the main driving amplifier. To note that the simulating model doesn't have inductive component of the output impedance, it is fixed for simplicity to 0.1 ohms. This why the high frequency impedance falling to 0.5 ohm is wrong.

Attachments

• reflected.jpg
    reflected.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
I appreciate your attention about the subject.
The datasheet also precise that it is loaded 2k. The open loop gain depends greatly with the load. The datasheet also precise that with one ohms in series, it is stable with any capacitive load. In other words, the OLG with one ohm gets considerably reduced to remain stable. How about loading 0.22 ohms! The OLG decreases by far by 10 fold to be stable at unity gain. If an amplifier still oscillate, to feedback by 1k resistor and shunt the inputs by 100 ohms. The gain decreases by ten fold. See applied by Mooly The LM1875 for best
After testing on simulator, it is the positive feedback is the reason of stability.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
attachment.php

The stability is perfect but very well damped.
This is modeled with not non inductive resistors worst case and adjusted for perfect stability.
attachment.php

Attachments

• CURRENT MULTIPLIER (2).JPG
    CURRENT MULTIPLIER (2).JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 33
  • stability.JPG
    stability.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 453
  • CURRENT MULTIPLIER4.JPG
    CURRENT MULTIPLIER4.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 28
  • perfect.JPG
    perfect.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Hayk,

Is this needed? Rowlands has marketed amps with multiple chips, at high cost, and others had done this with HP amps too.

HD
FauxFrench tried to parallel bridge triple pair, it is so difficult to adjust the offset and the gain precisely on each six amplifiers. So I decided to take over his project but in my way. Frankly, I am very glade, as I created two new circuits.

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
It is also possible to adjust the stability to perfection by adding an inductance to the main's resistance L2 of 100nH. This inductance can be realized by not using non inductive resistor and/or looping the leads single turn. Bellow is without and with. The scale is 50ns.

no inductor.JPG with 100nH.JPG

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Pluto electronics

Linkwitz paralleled two IC power amps for the woofer amp on his Pluto speakers. Schematic is in the post I linked if you scroll down. Look at the literature for the chip he was using, and maybe there is some more helpful information?

It looks to be bridged, not paralleled. Thanks for showing there are interesting things.

Attachments

• pluto.JPG
    pluto.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 90
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.