Complete novice alert! *don't read if easily annoyed by stupid questions*

Not done much what with real life getting in the way :) but I'm intending to build it as I have drawn it so that I can troubleshoot it slightly more easily. Well, that's the theory.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've mounted the chips onto the heatsink and joined this to a piece of perspex which has the holes for the two large caps drilled into it. Then the rectifier is fixed to the end 'leg' that doubles as another heatsink.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Can't see an image and a look at the URL gives this:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-03 180709.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-11-03 180709.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 40
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That is OK electrically although you are DC coupled as shown... which will work but which will cause the DC offset to be larger than it need and also to vary with the setting of the volume control.

But it will work... so lets just get audio from it all first.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Okay I've wired up just the left channel. When I turn it on (using DBT of course) the bulb stays lit and I get a buzzing through the speaker. I notice that I have continuity for both the positive and the ground through the speaker terminals. Obviously this isn't right.

Is it a very loud buzzing?

If you disconnect the speaker does the bulb go out or dim?

If the bulb does go dim then what DC voltage do you see between the speaker terminals?

(you will measure continuity all over the place as you will be reading through the internals of the chip. If there were a short across the speaker output then you wouldn't get the buzz)