Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Complete novice alert! *don't read if easily annoyed by stupid questions*
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2020, 11:00 AM   #21
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The yellow/blue stay joined and become the 'zero' or 0V ground connection as shown here (generic circuit off the web).

The red and green go to the rectifier and it doesn't matter which one goes where.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-10-02 105957.jpg (49.5 KB, 154 views)
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:11 PM   #22
GooseyGander is offline GooseyGander  France
diyAudio Member

Okay, thank you. Now, back to my original question: What do I connect to the connectors that come from pin 10 and pin 1 please?
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:19 PM   #23
Mark Whitney is offline Mark Whitney  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Answer can be found in post 7. Pins 9 and 10 are Inputs. 1 and 5 are power +. 4 is power -.
Old 2nd October 2020, 02:04 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Yes, thank you I know that. I am referring to my original post and the photograph where I have said that I am stuck. I need to know where to physically connect from the connectors soldered to my board in the places that are ringed on the photo to where they should be connected to next.
Old 2nd October 2020, 02:13 PM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

I think we need a bit more info from yourself here I can't see anything 'ringed' in the image on post #1. That is your actual amplifier is it? and not just a picture off the web.

Lets begin with the power supply and transformer. Is that wired up correctly now to the rectifier and reservoir caps?
Old 2nd October 2020, 02:18 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I thought I posted this before...Click the image to open in full size.

This is as far as I've got and that's why I am stuck. The connections from pins 1 and 10 go to these two connectors. And then where? I can't seem to understand where they go from here.
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:03 PM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

It still all sounds a bit of a mystery tbh.

Pin 1 of the LM3886 and pin 5 of the chip should be joined and these then go to the positive rail which will be the plus end of one of those large caps.

So looking at your picture the + end of the cap furthest from us would be that point. I can't understand why you would have pin 1 coming out to a connector.

Pin 4 of the chip should go to the negative rail and that looks like it would be the negative pin of the cap nearest to us.

Pin 10 is the non inverting input of the chip and is where the audio is applied but it should not just be a connection direct to the pin. This input should be tied to ground (the 0V point) via a resistor, typically 22k.

PRR posted a diagram in post #7 which I think is from the site you linked to. The configuration of the chip should be as in that diagram. You can see pin 10 goes to a volume control in that image.

A good way to figure things out is to look at each pin of the chip in turn and confirm it goes where it should.
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:08 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Okay I will have a close look at all of it and re-check what I’ve done. Thanks so much again for your help.
Old 2nd October 2020, 07:36 PM   #29
diyAudio Moderator

Working from pictures is never easy but if you get stuck then just ask

One thing I would say is that you must use a 'DBT' or dim bulb tester with this project. It could save you from expensive mistakes as you first power it all up. It's vital... and use a low wattage bulb if you can such as a 60 watt or lower (filament type only)
Old 3rd October 2020, 08:36 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I am using a DBT at all times, don't worry I haven't blown myself (or anything else) up yet. Working from pictures might be tricky, but it's all I'm good at (graphic designer). So here's another one...so that I can get my head around what is going on under the board, I drew this...Click the image to open in full size.

I hope you can see what I've done from this. I know it's not a schematic, but it's all I can do

Complete novice alert! *don't read if easily annoyed by stupid questions*Hide this!Advertise here!