Shielded vs. Twisted solid core for single ended amp inputs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hello,

I am trundling right along with my Neurochrome LM3886DR amp build, and I am at the point where I need to start wiring things together.

(red and black wires sort of mock up the input signal path)

amp rca wiring 1.jpg

What is the prefered method of wiring single ended inputs to an amplifier board?

The two options are, Mogami 2330 shielded microphone cable or plain 'ole twisted solid core 22g wire.

amp rca wiring 2.jpg

Shielded is a little more difficult to wire up, but is "supposed" to be better. (don't be too critical of the ends on the wire in the photo, I was just playing around, I know the ferrule should be pushed up to the insulator of the centre wire)

Twisted 22g solid core wire is super easy to deal with for soldering and "stays put" when bent where it needs to go.

Like most things I do, I am sure I am overthinking this, and either solution would be fine as I have seen both examples used. I am also pretty sure I would not hear a difference, but I would like to use "best practice" even if I won't notice the difference.

Thoughts on one vs. the other?

(I did lots of reading on this forum about this topic as well as general Google searched and I am still on the fence)

Thank you,

David.

I prefer the idea of using solid core wire. Think that Superphon and DNM convinced me it sounds better. That was 30 years ago or more.
But only use stranded wire now. Not sure I would go with microphone cable to wire up RCA jacks to amplifier board. Try normal coax.

For high impedance low-level signals its way better to use shielded cable, twisted pair doesn't prevent capacitive pickup. At low impedance twisted is good. Modern solid state audio equipment is usually low impedance on the interconnects.

High impedance boosts capacitive pickup (which is effectively an injected current)

Joined 2018
Paid Member
For high impedance low-level signals its way better to use shielded cable, twisted pair doesn't prevent capacitive pickup. At low impedance twisted is good. Modern solid state audio equipment is usually low impedance on the interconnects.

High impedance boosts capacitive pickup (which is effectively an injected current)

The source for now will be a Topping D30 DAC until I receive my SMSL SU-8 V2 DAC. Would they qualify as having a high or low impedance output signal?

David.

Read your user manual but in principle any active source such as your DACs will be high level (1 or 2 V RMS, go figure) low impedance.
Never the less I would use shielded cable at the input, simply to better avoid random RF problems.
If you have a (legal or illegal) RF transmitter nearby, an FM radio, a police/firemen/ambulance base nearby, etc., they are a potential annoyance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.