the $5 amp enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i think i've found it! the cheapest way to get an enclosure for a gainclone project. cheap and it looks pretty easy too!

what is it? a mailbox. at least in the US, there are "rural" mailboxes made from metal. they are meant to be mounted on wood.

this looks like they have the following advantages:
1.) big and roomy.
2.) metal for sheilding/grounding.
3.) an access panel (the door to the mailbox!)
4.) wood can be attached to the bottom, allowing heavier transformers to be secured to the enclosure.
5.) it is metal, so it is somewhat fire resistant.
6.) it's kinda thin metal, so holes can be easily made for adding RCA jacks.
7.) not an unattractive shape and not as boring as rectangular enclosures.

at my local lowes they cost $4.87 USD each.

for some projects i guess you could use it as a heatsink -- it has plenty of area -- but i don't think i'd reccomend that, it is a little thin and isn't aluminum!

You can also find some cheap metal boxes with lids at IKEA,
at least here in Sweden. I recently used one of these for
a lab PSU. Sometimes you have to buy a set of two or three
boxes, but they always come in handy for one thing or another.
The mailbox solutions sounde more fun though. :)

or a cigar box!

I like cigar boxes!

Attachments

• finished amp front view.jpg
    finished amp front view.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 729
Well, i found something thats about $2 and gives you food!

Ever see those Ice Breakers mints containers? They'd be great for headphone amps, or low power speaker amps, since they are made of metal which would work as a small heatsink. Or, for something like a headphone amp, they have a part that opens on the top that a 9V or 2AA would probably fit into nicely.

I'll try to have a picture later.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.