Need more Bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this small TDA2030 amp. Its lacking BASS.
Is there some way to have it put out more BASS?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• ICstation.jpg
    ICstation.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 319
Joined 2011
Increase the 1000uF output coupling capacitors C4 and C9 significantly, by five to ten times.
Right now the LF corner is at 20Hz with 8R.

The main power supply capacitance should be increased also, to 10,000uF or more.

Last edited:
I have this small TDA2030 amp. Its lacking BASS.
Is there some way to have it put out more BASS?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Your ampis flat down to 20 Hz so it has all the Bass you need.

You need better/larger speakers.

Or if you like exxagerated Bass music, add an equalizer in front of it and adjust to taste.

Even a simple Baxandall tone control will allow you to bosst Bass by around 15dB, which is a lot.

Nothing you do will make that already flat amplifier INCREASE present Bass.

Thanks for all the input.
I have no need to get down to 20 hertz.
I simply want to take the "audio out" of my TV
to amplify for better sound then the built-in speakers.
I'm using Realistic Nova-16 8" 2 way speakers.
Using the TDA2030 amp and these speakers I get a
some what "tin can" sound.

3dB down at 20Hz is not flat if you care about the very bottom octave.
You must be kidding :D
Worry about 20Hz flat response in a cheesy capacitor out TDA2030 amp?
Which will be certainly driving a cheapish small cabinet?
Which probably has problems reproducing 80-100Hz? (Which is probably what the OP is complaining about)
Please be realistic.
Plus I bet OP is not complaining about his Cathedral Organ recordings but not having enough Bass Guitar and Bass Drum in his "normal Music".

What OP needs is either better speakers which is THE answer to his problem, or bass boosting the signal, which is a poor solution but definitely cheap and easy.

Quick, dirty way to boost bass frequencies is to add a capacitor, maybe 22nF, parallel to R11 and R5.
Close but not enough :) , that will kill all mid and treble, you need some way to make it work on Bass frequencies only.
Parallel 100k NFB fresistors (R5 and R11) with your .022 capacitors (so far so good) but add 22k in series with capacitor.
It will start boosting around 300Hz and provide ample 12dB boost at 80Hz.

Since boost is starting at quite high frequency, it will also enhance low mids, which in due time will provide "warmth" and counteract "tinny sound".

EDIT: just read your last post.

TV audio means NO 20Hz anywhere but more important, they probably cut some audible Bass from the program which built in speakers can´t handle.
Why make them flap and distort uselessly?

In this case Boosting may even mean setting things back to normal, sort of.

Nice little speakers, fondly remember Realistic speakers (specially my half shoebox sized "Maximus" 7), but of course you can expect decent Bass, not bass with "Authority".

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.