Highest DC Voltage Rails anyone has used on a 3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PHilgeman said:
I have a transformer that puts out +/- 48 VDC. Should I risk trying it on a parallel gainclone that will have 3 ch. in parallel?

You can do two things:

1) If your transformer is toroidal and you have two secondaries, you can take wire out from both.

2) Regulate to +/-40V, but be careful to heatsink the transistor or regulator quite well, as you should have plenty of heat. The 8v difference should give you plenty of room to regulate in spite of AC line drops.

Carlos

Any links to ways to regulate things?

It is a standard transformer, so I cant unwind. It has a ton of VA, guessing from the transformers I have seen, about 800VA or so.

BTW, I did run an 3886 for a while on the 52V supplies. It worked find and delivered very tight, deep bass, but then it just locked to the - rail.

-Paul Hilgeman

So, it looks like i will have to use transistors to do the +/- 42V that I want to do. I want to be sure that LOTS of current is available because this may end up being two paralleled chips to double my possible current output.

Is there any easy way of reducing the voltage by using zeiner diodes at all?

Thanks,
Paul Hilgeman

If all you want to do is drop 2-3 volts youe could put 3 or 4 standard rectivier diodes in series. Each diode generally drops 5.v - .7 v. You can get 6a diodes here for 2 for a dollar:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=205100&item=P600M&type=store

Zener aren't generally used to pass large amounts of current which means they would have to dissipate relatively large amounts of power (6amps * 3 volts = 18 watts). High power zeners are very expensive.

Regulator

Hi,
Better would be a regulator that I saw somewhere in this forum.
With the black amendments it should be very fine for the task.
One of these power trannies each is enough.
Succes,
Rick

Attachments

• non-fb-sup_sch-2.gif
    non-fb-sup_sch-2.gif
    11.7 KB · Views: 116
PHilgeman said:
So, it looks like i will have to use transistors to do the +/- 42V that I want to do. I want to be sure that LOTS of current is available because this may end up being two paralleled chips to double my possible current output.

Is there any easy way of reducing the voltage by using zeiner diodes at all?

You absolutely should not power your chips in parallel with +/-42v.

To get a higher power you should bridge the chips, and to use 4ohms chips parallel them. But in both cases you should use lower voltages, perhaps up to +/-35v at most.

The problem is that even if the data says you can use them up to +/-42v that's only for 8ohm speakers. The chips can only provide up a certain power and then clip badly. It pays off to provide ample current supply but not voltage.

Perhaps you should consider a different project for that transformer.

Reducing voltage would be a waste if it's not to regulate it.

Regulators I know worked well are some I saw in The Audio Amateur years ago, one by James Boak and the other by Kit Ryan. The latter was used to regulate an Adcom power amp, but could be used in other amps. Do a search for Kit Ryan on the Forum and you may find it.

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.