Can this be salvaged?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a long story but I recently purchased a faulty sub because I needed the 7" driver.
I got mines so I'm extremely happy.

What remains is a 5.1 190w plate amp and toroidal transformer. There are three boards connected to the back plate. The top board is the amp. The middle board is connected to all the inputs: Analogue RCA, Optical, Coaxial. The bottom board is connected to the outputs.

There is a 12 pin connector which runs from the middle board to the infra-red sensor on the front of the cabinet. I'm guessing all pre-amp function including including input source and power on/off were handled via the remote.

The original sin off the sub was that the infra-red sensor was toast. Is there any way that I can short pins to provide (1) Power on. (2) Analogue input. (3) Max volume.

I know nothing about electronics but live my life through a set of guidelines. Guideline #174 clearly states: the more fuses inside a piece of electronic equipment, the more the manufacturers thought the product worth protecting.

If it can't be salvaged in its entirety I know that some parts may be of value to enthusiasts more capable than me. I'm in the UK - any parts you want hit me up.

OK...so you have a plate amp from a powered sub, the IR sensor is bad/missing, you have no remote control, and you want to figure out how to power it up...do I have it right?
If so, there may be a relay the remote sensor module would activate to turn the unit on. If that's the case it should be just a matter of substituting a switch for the relay....assuming there aren't other things like a mute function involved.

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.