Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Upgrading AkitikA GT102
Upgrading AkitikA GT102
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2020, 03:50 PM   #11
Panelhead is offline Panelhead
diyAudio Member

I was impressed seeing the small signal performance of this amplifier. Noise is low. So is distortion.
This is a unique chip amp design. Regulated single rail power supply and capacitor output coupling.
I built a Pass design like a this and it played music fine. Not sure how well it measured, the GT102 measures well.
Like has been said, this amp is power supply limited. But really, 60 watts is plenty for most applications. Parallel connecting two channels would be beneficial if driving speakers that have an impedance under 4 ohms.
Old 10th May 2020, 12:57 AM   #12
mk05 is offline mk05  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00940 View Post
So here are our hard limits: 2x60W into 8R due to the power supply, 2x95W (likely less) into 4R due to the lm3886. And that's even if you extensively modify the power supply.

What I was saying earlier is that you can turn it into a mono amplifier by paralleling both channels, but that will only get you a single 60W into 8R, 120W into 4R.
As I have declared previously, I have no hard science background like the rest here. I have read a lot of the threads, not just about GT102, but regarding Purifi and Modulus, all those 100+ pages threads, just trying to understand and take away some meaningful piece of information - which has been difficult. This is the first time someone has written a post that was helpful for layman like myself, so thank you very much for this. Really appreciated!

I will take your advice and keep the amp the way it is. I think this amp will be great for my beloved Energy Connoisseur C5s.
Old 10th May 2020, 01:26 PM   #13
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

As Panelhead said, it's a good amp and 60W is plenty in a domestic setting, especially with fairly efficient speakers as yours. You can reach deafening levels for sure.

Enjoy the amp, it's really not a bad one as is.
Old 11th May 2020, 03:20 AM   #14
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
What would you change/add to the Akitika GT102 in order for it to be improved overall? Personally, I am curious what could be done to raise the WPC over 100, flatten frequency response, and perhaps other sonic qualities that it is currently lacking (I read it was missing some bones approaching top end). Can this chassis be made to turn into a dual monoblock, for example?

Thank you, any sort of advice would be wonderful.
buy & build the Neurochrome lm3886 amp.. If you demand better

Upgrading AkitikA GT102Hide this!Advertise here!