Audio Amplifier Module grounding help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I am relatively new to electronics so please take it easy on me.

I am building a DIY Bluetooth Speaker, everything works fine when I use my breadboard amplifier that I build using LM386. But I need a stereo output to decided to use the PAM8043 Amplifier IC. To save time I directly purchased the PAM8043 Amplifier Module from the link.

As you can see in the image (from the link) the module is powered by +5V and ground and the audio input L,R and Ground. Should I connect the audio ground with the power supply ground? My logical brain says it should not be done, but when I don't do it I get a humming noise and when I connect both grounds it the PAM8043 is getting hot. So what could be the problem here?

Hard to say without seeing the build and knowing how it's powered.

If you use a dedicated, galvanically isolated power supply for the power amplifier module, audio ground and power ground should be connected. If you are attempting to feed BT module + power amplifier from a single supply, they should not.

Speaker leads and power leads should be twisted.

Audio cables should be shielded.

While the PAM8403 is advertised as "filterless", it is probably a good idea to add some common-mode chokes at the output. Check results with an AM/FM radio at least.

The seller of your amplifier module may have a problem with dyslexia, asuming that the actual chip says PAM8403. Could be a knockoff chip otherwise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.