Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

New chip amps?
New chip amps?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2020, 10:31 AM   #1
onis_uk is offline onis_uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default New chip amps?

Hi all, its been a while since posting but I'm in the market for a new chip amp!

In the past, I've always liked the sound of the tri-paths like TA2020 and TA2024 and have had several little amp boards over the years. My main system is currently running a TPA3116 which I've been very happy with.

Just wondering if there has been anything new in the past few years that's blown anyway away, or are the classics still untouched?
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:49 AM   #2
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
TPA3220 is the best of the bunch for me so far when the analog signal PSU is modified with extra capacitance. There's a TI EVM of it for around $50 : http://www.ti.com/tool/TPA3220EVM-MICRO
Old 2nd February 2020, 11:20 AM   #3
onis_uk is offline onis_uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I'll check it out. Was also looking at this and building a couple of monoblocks...as this is something I've not done before!

WONDOM | STORE
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:15 PM   #4
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
diyAudio Member

You could also look at the TPA3255 which is a very high powered cousin of the TPA3116. I've attached the data sheet for you...

Also looking at the Sure link you posted ... You're going to want to put a heat sink on that chip if you go that way. The TPA3118 and TPA3116 can become VERY hot.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tpa3255.pdf (1.55 MB, 37 views)

Last edited by Douglas Blake; 2nd February 2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:26 PM   #5
edbarx is offline edbarx  Malta
diyAudio Member

New amplifier chips?

Probably, they are full bridge switching power supplies disguised as audio amplifiers!

[/sarcasm]
Old 4th February 2020, 02:34 PM   #6
mjvbl is offline mjvbl  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
TPA3220 is the best of the bunch for me so far when the analog signal PSU is modified with extra capacitance. There's a TI EVM of it for around $50 : http://www.ti.com/tool/TPA3220EVM-MICRO

In AD mode at 600kHz and with the internal LDO bypassed? I've found your experimentation with the TDA8566 very interesting. But it seems it's in the process of disappearing from the usual distributors, can find only find it with the TH1 suffix.
And probably want to be as efficient as possible with small power supplies and want to go very low profile for the amp with these small DIY 2-way active speakers with 4ohm drivers I'm pondering about. So I'm also trying to figure out a nice implementation for these.
Old 5th February 2020, 02:06 PM   #7
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Are you in search for new analogue or class D chips? In the 2nd case this forum branch might not be the best one for your question.
Best regards!

New chip amps?Hide this!Advertise here!