New chip amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, its been a while since posting but I'm in the market for a new chip amp!

In the past, I've always liked the sound of the tri-paths like TA2020 and TA2024 and have had several little amp boards over the years. My main system is currently running a TPA3116 which I've been very happy with.

Just wondering if there has been anything new in the past few years that's blown anyway away, or are the classics still untouched?

You could also look at the TPA3255 which is a very high powered cousin of the TPA3116. I've attached the data sheet for you...

Also looking at the Sure link you posted ... You're going to want to put a heat sink on that chip if you go that way. The TPA3118 and TPA3116 can become VERY hot.

Attachments

• tpa3255.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
TPA3220 is the best of the bunch for me so far when the analog signal PSU is modified with extra capacitance. There's a TI EVM of it for around $50 : http://www.ti.com/tool/TPA3220EVM-MICRO

In AD mode at 600kHz and with the internal LDO bypassed? I've found your experimentation with the TDA8566 very interesting. But it seems it's in the process of disappearing from the usual distributors, can find only find it with the TH1 suffix.
And probably want to be as efficient as possible with small power supplies and want to go very low profile for the amp with these small DIY 2-way active speakers with 4ohm drivers I'm pondering about. So I'm also trying to figure out a nice implementation for these.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.