Toroid transformer or not

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my traffos, big one is a 3kva one for a leach amp cost at around U$105, smaller one is suitable for a gainclone amp up to 4 chips and costs around U$10.

Attachments

• img_6248.jpg
    img_6248.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 399
tama. walang toroid dito. :p

I couldn't find toroids here locally so I went to hongkong and got a 225VA for a pair of P3A's and a 500VA for a pair of N channel amps.

I guess it'll be a very long time before I could get my hands on new toroids.

as far as cheap EI core trannys go, locally, we can only get those under rated ones that get hot even at idle (I assume those are run well near core saturation to get better regulation to make up for voltage drop due to underrated-ness). I had one that was rated at 1.2kVA and is only about the size of a 300VA EI. for lower voltages, the real ratings are closer to that specified.

as far as cheap EI core trannys go, locally, we can only get those under rated ones that get hot even at idle (I assume those are run well near core saturation to get better regulation to make up for voltage drop due to underrated-ness). I had one that was rated at 1.2kVA and is only about the size of a 300VA EI. for lower voltages, the real ratings are closer to that specified.

the heat is due to the fact that locally available iron require more turns than goss types...besides local winders tend to everrate their traffos...your observation is on the dot...

i take this into consideration whenever i design a traffo for my own use.....

Try Apex Jr. I bought a half dozen 350VA El XFormers a few years back for ~ 8$ a piece. They are very good quality and I am, in fact, I'm in the process of using most of them for a & Channel Chip Amp HT setup. These are gone but Apex does have a 55V CT 7+ amp El for 7.95

Fender 55 Dual 55V power transformer @ 7.12 Amp

http://www.apexjr.com/miscellaneous.html

I think El's and Torroids both have some plusses and minuses. I'm not convinced that a properly sized transformer of either type is going to affect your sound, all other things being equal (i.e. same bridge, caps amps). If there is a difference, it is debatable, (and has been debated here before) which type is better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.