Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

reduce power to reduce heat from UPC1342V kit
reduce power to reduce heat from UPC1342V kit
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 16th January 2020, 04:53 AM   #11
nine0nine is offline nine0nine  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Not sure if I am barking up the wrong tree here, but here's my current situation.

My voltmeter is set to 2v range, so I should be looking at lowering the trimpot until it reads 0.015v so its 15mV, correct?

It seems the starting voltage was 440mV, at least with my 'methods'. 440 down to 15 seems...a lot
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 06:25 AM   #12
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator
 
AllenB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
reduce power to reduce heat from UPC1342V kit
440mV/0.25 ohms gives 1.76A. Multiply this by 2 as there are double outputs, by 90V worth of rails is a few hundred watts. Yes, that would be very hot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 07:13 AM   #13
nine0nine is offline nine0nine  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I'm almost ready to test the amp fully, i lowered the mV down to 50 and it runs hot, but its acceptable. If it actually works I may add a fan to the case later.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 08:27 AM   #14
nine0nine is offline nine0nine  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
and what do you know, it works!

really surprised, but after 10 minutes of playing an mp3 from an old phone, it was warm, but actually cooler than I expected, so If needs be I could probably raise the power a little.

Now to do the other amp and try and figure out how I'm gonna fit the other bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 09:12 AM   #15
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: The mountains, calm and quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine0nine View Post
and what do you know, it works!

really surprised, but after 10 minutes of playing an mp3 from an old phone, it was warm, but actually cooler than I expected, so If needs be I could probably raise the power a little.

Now to do the other amp and try and figure out how I'm gonna fit the other bits.

The (total) quiescent current you know by measuring the voltage across one 0.25 Ohm/5W resistor, divide this voltage with 0.25 Ohm and multiply by 2 because you have two power transistors in parallel.
That current you can adjust as you like as long as the components and heatsink do not become more than some 45 degrees (Celsius) warm. In principle, the higher quiescent current the less cross-over distortion. But above a certain quiescent current, the cross-over distortion is reduced very little with further increase in quiescent current while the idle power loss increases linearly. The idle power loss is calculated as the total quiescent current times the full supply voltage measured from "+" to "-". It can be quite a lot. Think of "Greta" when you turn the current up .
Anyway, have fun with your newly recovered amplifier/electrical heater.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 09:42 AM   #16
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator
 
AllenB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
reduce power to reduce heat from UPC1342V kit
The other channel, does it use the same heatsink?
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 10:44 AM   #17
nine0nine is offline nine0nine  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
That current you can adjust as you like as long as the components and heatsink do not become more than some 45 degrees (Celsius) warm. ...

Anyway, have fun with your newly recovered amplifier/electrical heater.
I originally tried to test the temp with a coffee thermometer (hot water probe thing) and I was hitting 70 on the heatsink, that was before I reduced the power though, it seems easily under 45 now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 10:52 AM   #18
nine0nine is offline nine0nine  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
The other channel, does it use the same heatsink?
well, it does...

The other amp was the first one I powered up before learning of the amps great heating prowess, and at the time I didn't have the heat sink anywhere near set up properly, so after a minute or so I got a whisp of smoke before I pulled the plug on it. I'm not sure if it was just some plastic casing that melted or something more serious...but...

I rewired it up just now, with a correctly set up heatsink and after a few seconds, one of the resisters burnt out, with a bright flame and a pleasant aroma of toast. I'm not sure now if that's a repercussion from the first turn on, or something new.

Looks like I'll put the amp on hold again, although I can still work on the preamp section with my one working channel. Will order another kit and give it one last try. The kit itself is pretty cheap as it doesn't come with capacitors, presuming mine are still OK.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 11:26 AM   #19
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator
 
AllenB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
reduce power to reduce heat from UPC1342V kit
I understand this is frustrating. I think you need to identify the minimum current setting on the pot and set up your case and wiring. High current can come later.

I have a 15x30x5cm heatsink. Two channels, just under 1A each, +/-24V rails so that's about 90W. The heatsinks get very warm but not hot.

Your resistors don't look like 5W resistors (maybe I'm struggling with the photo). 440mV would be creating less than 1W. This could be a problem.

Is there a chance you could get a variac, or make a light bulb tester? What about substituting a different transformer for testing? It is good to see a circuit with reduced voltage so you can see it is in order at low dissipation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 02:07 PM   #20
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: The mountains, calm and quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine0nine View Post
well, it does...

The other amp was the first one I powered up before learning of the amps great heating prowess, and at the time I didn't have the heat sink anywhere near set up properly, so after a minute or so I got a whisp of smoke before I pulled the plug on it. I'm not sure if it was just some plastic casing that melted or something more serious...but...

I rewired it up just now, with a correctly set up heatsink and after a few seconds, one of the resisters burnt out, with a bright flame and a pleasant aroma of toast. I'm not sure now if that's a repercussion from the first turn on, or something new.

Looks like I'll put the amp on hold again, although I can still work on the preamp section with my one working channel. Will order another kit and give it one last try. The kit itself is pretty cheap as it doesn't come with capacitors, presuming mine are still OK.

If it gets so hot that it smokes, the transistors are probably ruined. Ruined may mean short-circuited. If short-circuited, the power resistors may have much more voltage across them and they burn.
With a modest price and unless you are experienced with amplifier fault finding, you better buy a new module. Else you have to find and order replacement parts, await arrival etc....
  Reply With Quote

Reply


reduce power to reduce heat from UPC1342V kitHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Valve Noise Reduce if you Reduce Plate Current? primalsea Tubes / Valves 22 14th March 2020 09:36 PM
Do crossovers reduce power output? Ericksol96 Car Audio 1 14th February 2019 07:46 AM
Reduce gain on power amp? scutterflux Tubes / Valves 20 28th December 2012 10:08 PM
Can i lower the bias current in the alpeh 5 to reduce power and heat? hifi Solid State 4 7th April 2002 08:48 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2021 diyAudio
Wiki