NEC PC1230H2 Chip Amp Info, stuff and etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Hello! Willkommen, Casay Hay, Bienvenidos or Bula Bula.

I did a forum search on the NEC Chip used in Chrysler Minivans from 1991 to 2000 & the Infinity Acoustic 10 equipped Cars & system. only found I think 2 posts about this chip. There is an Nice post about the History of these systems here on ALLPAR if you are a Mopar fan.

There is also a Blurb on how to fix these speakers that came with the amps if you are into that sort of thing. But it covers a few more tips on how to repair them.

if you take a look at them, here is the Wire diagram of how these complete units get hooked up if you want to just pull a set and go with it for projects.

• Red – amplifier 12V input
  • Green – speaker level audio input from head unit, positive
  • Black – speaker level audio input from head unit, negative
  • Gray – amplifier ground

So I am going to Post some stuff about this chip and links for those folks that are interested in this stuff.

FULL DISCLAIMER:
I AM NOOB.

First lets start with the specs I think people care most about:

The uPC1230H2 chip is a low-frequency bridge amplifier.
  • Supply voltage: nominal = 13.2 V, maximum = 18V;
  • Maximum output power (Vcc = 13.2 V, RL = 4 Ohms, THD = 10%) = 20 W;
  • Standby current consumption = 90 mA;
  • Operating temperature range = -30 ... + 75 ° C.

Here is a Pin out of the chip:
audio-chip-254.png

:film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film:

No. ----------- Symbol ----- ----- Appointment
1 ------------------OUT2--- Invert channel output
2 -----------------PTSTR2---- Inverting channel voltage boost
3 --------------------N1----- Non-inverting channel feedback pin 1
4 ------------------Nfb2----- Inverting Channel Input
5 -------------------Nfb1----- Non-inverting channel inverting input
6 --------------------IN1----- Non-inverting input of non-inverting channel
7 --------------------N2----- Non-inverting channel output terminal 2
8 --------------------Fltr----- Conclusion to the filtering capacitor
9 ------------------- + Vcc----- Supply voltage
10 --------------------BTSTR1----- Non-inverting channel voltage boost
11 --------------------OUT1----- Non-inverting channel output
12 --------------------GND----- General conclusion

:film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film::film:

These 2 videos may be the ONLY ones you a have seen about these up close as I keep them on hand. I love them really for the audio quality and the flexibility of them.

FIrst video goes over the back of the board and silkscreen as this may be helpful to some of you that actually Build amps for the rest of us to enjoy. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odWNqdUHX84

391604a4e72d4c090658710a4ab4e29c8381cb51.jpg

The next video goes over the top of the board, and where you find these and the chip in its natural habitat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uh3laM-Bfo

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here are some photos. One day I will become a member and not have to load them like this.
https://twitter.com/iMickey503/status/1217011554807271424?s=20

I don't think anyone else has really made a video about these chips or on an amp Dyno. But I do have a DD-1, but i have no way to test power. I really should have got an O scope by now. I will soon one day.

Now here is the thing. I don't know CRAP about Amp design. I can barely fix my own stuff or troubleshoot it. But I love watching you folks do it. But I am good at finding info, and posting stuff. Albeit, not that clearly.

So... If anyone wants to give idea on maybe how to make these sound better, or has andy testing data, that would be great.

One user, I forgot his name said he used these a lot back in the day. Another asked about a data sheet. I hope that helps. SO Now on to some Questions I have about this Chip Amp:

giphy.gif

Are their Pin Compatible models out there of newer chips that would work in the same curtis?

This chip sounds amazing to me in the car. Since its so small, and has good power, and like zero noise I can hear, I use it on my front speakers. I know I should upgrade, but I like the sound. Is this chip still sounds good to me, does it sound good to you guys?

I am willing to Ship one out if on of you guys (or that strange girl who is into hifi testing) can do Dyno tests at higher voltages? Maybe eek out more clean output at its max voltage of 18v?

Do any of you have any recommendations about the OEM Chrysler Infinity boards that you think is a worthwhile audible upgrade? Nothing crazy, just cheap and cheerful audible mods?

Are there differences between the Japanese chips and the Malaysian ones? I see two kinds of chips out there.

It seems like the newer amps in the plastic case have a High Pass and a low pass instead of running full out. Most of these are potted and come in the plastic case like this here. Also the pin out is different as well. I made a post about it on the Chrysler minivan forms. They look like this here:
8300d9abe94f09a37c0cb9e4922b02dd3631dfff.jpg

They seem to be the same parts. THey are all just potted so its harder to get at them if you get these models.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am going to post some link here at the END so that people who want to know about this amp, can find the resources on the web:

His site goes over the Chip amp and he built a small version.
https://www.qsl.net/ka1eks/upc1230h2.html

Also A link to a datasheet (Not full)

Here is a Link to the full 8 page data sheet in ENGLISH.
https://pl-1.org/getproductfile.axd?id=3147&filename=uPC1230H2.pdf

Radio Museum has some cool stuff about this chip and some Pics of the Japanese units that Chrysler used on their Acoustic 10 systems.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_pc1230h2.html

Link from another.. Just in case.. any of these don't work for you in the future.
http://radiostorage.net/3416-mikroskhema-upc1230h2-mostovoj-unch-dlya-avto-20watt-pri-13-2v.html

If you have any other questions, I have to admit, I'm no E.E. So I can't really help ya. But I know some of you live and breath this stuff. I hope I helped out a few of you! :cool:

Such uPC1230H2 can still be supplied from Asia.
It belongs in a market where the competition is fierce and the choice substantive.
For the western markets, in particular ST has an impressive range with both bipolar and FET output stages. While NEC, Hitachi, Sanyo and other Japanese manufacturers have earned a reputation for high performance in general, the datasheet performance of the uPC1230H2 is surpassed by more modern ST designs. That does not mean you can't get a lot of pleasure from uPC1230H2 if you already have some at hand or can buy them very cheap. Believe it or not, for many of us 2x20W in a car will do :eek:. In principle also uPC1230H2 can be used as power stage in a better performing composite amplifier design but it is more cumbersome because uPC1230H2 is designed for a single supply voltage and intended for AC coupling such that you have to figure out how to control DC and match the input bias levels.

In particular new DIY'ers can have a lot of fun with that type of amplifier chips because they are very simple to implement, use a trivial and cheap 12V supply and nevertheless often sound really good. Production of many class AB chips for automobile use seems to terminate or have terminated which leaves you a chance to buy from the original surplus at a very attractive price.

Many thanks for the link to an English language datasheet.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.