Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

LM1875 in parallel configuration and used in a composite amplifier.
LM1875 in parallel configuration and used in a composite amplifier.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2020, 09:10 PM   #501
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

Good to know...UTC 2050 are since 5 days at my bench...no test actually. +/- 25V max

the only concern what i have is that the 18VAC transformer gives about 26,7 Volts at idle with 2 mono boards and 8 ohm speakers. i used my open baffle 12/5 but the second woofer per side is of -so i have just 8R load.
the voltage drops at loud listening just short (heavy bass) at 24,4V....to closed i think.

the lm1875 is able to handle more Voltage but gets after my test with 25V and higher current earlier problems instead of +/-22V. (ebay kit thread).

chris
Old 24th February 2020, 09:10 PM   #502
maxhifi is offline maxhifi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
I listened to the amplifier with all the test music from before and I could not hear any difference from last test.
You mean to say, between the composite and non composite versions?
Old 24th February 2020, 10:10 PM   #503
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdenys View Post
Originally posted by FauxFrench:

That exactly comfirms my findings!
Did you perhaps also check the dissipation/ temperature of the chip?
Given the very similar results you experienced (in comparison to the "LM1875") and the current limit of 5A peak of the UTC-TDA2050 isn't this chip the preferred choice?
Two paralleled UTC's will probably give comparable results to three LM1875's which might simplify the project somewhat.
Also the working built-in protections are an advantage at (almost) comparable cost.
Hi Fred,
I come to the same results as you. Two can be used in BTL coupling with an 8 Ohm load and an output power of some 70W or four in parallel/BTL with a 4 Ohm load and an output power of 120W. Fully enough for most. 1 Eur a piece and moderate delivery costs. Just what we need.
When I have finished this 3x2 fake LM1875 I will try the 2x2 UTC-TDA2050V just to confirm our findings. I will also think about a better amplitude clamp for the OP-AMP. Like that, a very well performing amplifier can be made with a modest budget. Letś hope the supplies from Taiwan are not being disturbed by the very sad situation on the continent.
I am very happy that you suggested this IC. I did not know about this active second source.
Old 24th February 2020, 10:23 PM   #504
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
You mean to say, between the composite and non composite versions?
No, my last test was also composite but without amplitude clamp. I need to do an A<>B test to know if I can actually distinguish a plain LM1875 from a composite version. Or better, we let someone who has had his ears washed more recently than I, someone like Chris , do the comparison.
From what I have heard yet with my test-board, it is flawless.
Old 24th February 2020, 10:31 PM   #505
maxhifi is offline maxhifi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No, my last test was also composite but without amplitude clamp. I need to do an A<>B test to know if I can actually distinguish a plain LM1875 from a composite version. Or better, we let someone who has had his ears washed more recently than I, someone like Chris , do the comparison.
From what I have heard yet with my test-board, it is flawless.
It sure is looking good on the scope! Interesting to see how much faster the op-amp is, I'm looking forward to seeing how this ends.
Old 24th February 2020, 10:34 PM   #506
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chermann View Post
Good to know...UTC 2050 are since 5 days at my bench...no test actually. +/- 25V max
the only concern what i have is that the 18VAC transformer gives about 26,7 Volts at idle with 2 mono boards and 8 ohm speakers. i used my open baffle 12/5 but the second woofer per side is of -so i have just 8R load.
the voltage drops at loud listening just short (heavy bass) at 24,4V....to closed i think.
the lm1875 is able to handle more Voltage but gets after my test with 25V and higher current earlier problems instead of +/-22V. (ebay kit thread).
chris
We could consider a regulated power supply, eventually as integrated part of the amplifier board. The one I use is homemade and a suitable regulator is not difficult to make. You can run a regulated version from most transformers you salvage from a broke-down AVR amplifier, found on a dumb. I even know a way to use two rather similar transformers in parallel for double current. I like re-use.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM   #507
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
We could consider a regulated power supply, eventually as integrated part of the amplifier board. The one I use is homemade and a suitable regulator is not difficult to make. You can run a regulated version from most transformers you salvage from a broke-down AVR amplifier, found on a dumb. I even know a way to use two rather similar transformers in parallel for double current. I like re-use.

Do you think about a LM317 and 337? - the max current is "just" 1,5A each rail. or you have a transistor additionally for more current...
turbowatch wrote that its a second best solution to use the existing transformer and add 2 diode to "waste" - 1,4V each rail...
i ahve no idea how much a rail can be sag if more then 2 chips are in operation. fix is that a UTC 2050 has max 25V supply.
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM   #508
diyAudio Member

An alternative to a buffered LM317/LM337 supply is an LLC SMPS similar to the one Fred uses, with +/-24V, and then add a "voltage dropper" before the decoupling capacitors. Diodes can be used.
A traditional unregulated power supply can be less useful if you build a power version because you have to stay below 25Vdc under all circumstances and that will drop importantly when current is drawn at higher power levels.
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM   #509
fdenys is offline fdenys  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The SMPS i am using has a variable output voltage of +-21V to 29V, adjustable with a small potentiometer on board, so imo no further voltage dropping circuits or diodes etc are required.

Yes i can wholeheartedly recommend the SMPS. The max output specified is (about) 2x25V at 5A ie about 250W.

But for this project a "sister" power supply has an additional +/- 15v (max 1 A) supply onboard - for feeding eg the composite opamp(s).
See the following link: SMTP click

For this project obviously an advantage

LM1875 in parallel configuration and used in a composite amplifier.Hide this!Advertise here!