Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Bob Cordell's Super Gain Clone PCB (LM3886) and a stripped-down version: Compact3886
Bob Cordell's Super Gain Clone PCB (LM3886) and a stripped-down version: Compact3886
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2020, 02:33 AM   #271
timgrindell is offline timgrindell  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Mark wrote"

"Bob is the inventor of the Super Gain Clone, read what he has to say about it. You'll discover that Bob recommends a second Zobel network (33nF series 10R), after the output inductor. These components are not present on my PCB layout; if you decide to install them, one good option is to solder them directly across the loudspeaker output terminals."

Are builders adding this 2nd Zobel?
I did but I wondered what others are doing.
stay safe
t
Old 25th August 2020, 10:33 PM   #272
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myleftear View Post
...misconceptions... A chip is usually connotated as being a digital device.....
???

And a horse is a recreational animal, can not do Real Work.

Don't tell the horses I saw around the corner last week....

The first proposed "chip" was analog. The Big Money in early chips was (military) digital, because BIG systems need Reliability and digital is prone to big systems, but as soon as that market got full there were analog chips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewHorseMowing-42.jpg (177.2 KB, 477 views)

Last edited by PRR; 25th August 2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 26th August 2020, 02:13 PM   #273
myleftear is online now myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
???

And a horse is a recreational animal, can not do Real Work.

Connotated, per, connotated in the relative/subjective meaning of „association“...

Like, you hear „chip“ and think, what, computer?

But, cool info on the history...
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:52 PM   #274
bobberner is offline bobberner  United States
diyAudio Member

I finally started assembling the power supply for the gainclone today. A fellow instructor at the college is teaching me how to solder and helped me get started on the PS. He was very impressed with the quality of the PCB and how all the parts were labeled in the bags from Mouser.

So a big thanks to Mark for putting this together and doing such a nice job of it! I just need to save my pennies for an enclosure now. Any suggestions for an inexpensive alternative to the Dissapante 2U? At least for an initial enclosure. I'm assuming it's the heat sinks that are the expensive part.

Last edited by bobberner; 3rd September 2020 at 11:53 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10th September 2020, 01:29 PM   #275
nicozero is offline nicozero  France
diyAudio Member

For dissipating 2*40W, some DIYers use Galaxy GX287/3U and they put transfo on vertical.
Old 10th September 2020, 01:55 PM   #276
diyAudio Member

Heatsink‘s inside?
Old 11th September 2020, 01:57 PM   #277
nicozero is offline nicozero  France
diyAudio Member

Box is the heatsink
Old 11th September 2020, 03:29 PM   #278
diyAudio Member

According to Taming the LM3886 Chip Amplifier: Thermal Design – Neurochrome , and depending the voltage (and what music the amp is going to amplify), you‘d need something for heat-dissipation with the thermal resistance of less than 1 W/°C...
I’d recommend at least a mini dissipante 2u, or the use of an internal heatsink like %product-title% - Conrad Electronic Schweiz
Old 15th September 2020, 11:48 PM   #279
timgrindell is offline timgrindell  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I've built a 2nd, lower power, BCSGC.
I used a 0-18v (x2) transformer and have used the chassis (a biscuit tin) as the heatsink.
Again I used 5k1 for R13 and 18K for R18.
Another very nice sounding amp.
Thank you Mark and Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0533.jpg (977.8 KB, 176 views)
Old 16th September 2020, 12:40 PM   #280
Mark Johnson is online now Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

A very innovative arrangement, congratulations Tim! That's the most heavily reinforced biscuit tin I have ever seen!

Bob Cordell's Super Gain Clone PCB (LM3886) and a stripped-down version: Compact3886Hide this!Advertise here!