Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

LM3886 Inverting/Non-inverting on one PCB build
LM3886 Inverting/Non-inverting on one PCB build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2019, 01:55 AM   #31
Dadbeh is online now Dadbeh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
No, but you might want to consider that I can't read your mind and sharpen up your communication accordingly. You don't say 40 V anywhere, only "40 V". There is a difference.

If the supply voltage droops from 40 V to 25 V, there's something wrong or you're using way too little supply capacitance. I'd use at least 2x4700 F plus the local decoupling on the amplifier board.

Tom
I see. these two filtering capacitors are 10000 micro farad nichicons, they are very very well used though. I got them used years ago and they have been continuously used for years. it is possible that they might have reduced capacity. i can check that using an ESR meter that I have. I will not continue with this project though.
Old 6th October 2019, 02:05 AM   #32
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

I suggest checking the capacitance of those before using them in another project. Load them with 1 kΩ (use a 5 W type). Turn the power on. You should see nearly 40 V. Turn the power off. It should take about 50 seconds for the caps to discharge to 0 V. If they discharge significantly faster than that, I'd toss them.

An even better test would be to measure the capacitance with a capacitance meter. Should be within 20% of 10000 F.

Best of luck.

Tom
Old 6th October 2019, 02:11 AM   #33
Dadbeh is online now Dadbeh  United States
diyAudio Member

Will do. In my previous post i mentioned using an ESR meter to measure the capacitance, i meant this: LCR-T4 ESR Meter Transistor Tester Diode Triode Capacitance SCR Inductance M328 606098871258 | eBay

it has worked great so far and it is a great cheap capacitance meter. I will make a point to check the capacity of those caps. I also have another bipolar unregulated power supply specifically for LM3886 but it needs repair, that's why i used the old power supply from the LM3875. I already have new 50V and 63V caps for both of these power supplies and i will take care of that tonight. also the seller also refunded me for those boards. I should have stuck with the tried and true XY boards instead of taking a chance on this awful board.

LM3886 Inverting/Non-inverting on one PCB buildHide this!Advertise here!