Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Tba820 amplifier
Tba820 amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2019, 12:18 PM   #11
blu_glo is offline blu_glo  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
It should be HiFi according to DIN45500 as I recall no power requirements. 2W in 8 Ohm is quite decent. Actually, the human ear is tolerant to much. Today we DIY'ers just smile at such old reminiscences but most untrained ears would hardly notice a difference between that chip and an LM1875 at low power levels and with moderate bass.
Not sure I would equate those old din standards with modern interpretation of hifi. They were "just good enough" specifications for acceptable performance.
... and remember those horrible din plugs someone tried foisting upon us....
Old 20th September 2019, 12:35 PM   #12
anti is offline anti  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

DIN ... for the win ...
Old 20th September 2019, 12:36 PM   #13
FauxFrench is online now FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_glo View Post
Not sure I would equate those old din standards with modern interpretation of hifi. They were "just good enough" specifications for acceptable performance.
... and remember those horrible din plugs someone tried foisting upon us....
I agree with you that the old HiFi standard (DIN45500) is not describing the performance level today. But, "HiFi" was explicitly stated and it is the latest (and perhaps only) "HiFi" standard. It appears that they later tried to make a modern HiFi standard but ran into that the human perception of natural sound is so individual and cannot reasonably be expressed in technical terms. They made audio test guidelines instead.
My point is that even old circuits that comply with the DIN45500 will still today satisfy many ears. Ask the vacuum tube guys.
Old 20th September 2019, 01:12 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

My sentiments precisely - and yes! I am Valve audio listener too. It might be of interest one day to revist those small "chipamps" perhaps with a good quality high sensitivity speaker design. You're right the spec wasn't bad for the time nor overall, really. The one thing I remember is blowing up at least 3 TDA820s trying to get more bass!
Old 20th September 2019, 01:48 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
trying to get more bass!
Bass dosent live in a DIP package.
Old 20th September 2019, 02:06 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti View Post
Bass dosent live in a DIP package.
Yes, you just didn't look well. It is hidden inside near the rear surface.

After hearing what I could get out of a PAM8403 (even smaller than a DIP package) with a 5V supply, I believe many DIY starters should do something very simple as a first project and get some valuable but very cheap experience before going to something complex.
Old 20th September 2019, 08:16 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I think the idea of trying to get the output stage to charge 10,000uF of output cap may have caused their premature demise. That and the fact it was the speakers that were really lacking. This was my initial attempts at audio electronics ��
Old 20th September 2019, 10:19 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think the idea of trying to get the output stage to charge 10,000uF of output cap may have caused their premature demise. That and the fact it was the speakers that were really lacking. This was my initial attempts at audio electronics ��

We all did things in the early days we would not repeat today. I used in my young days to make physically big speakers with a number of full-range drivers all connected in parallel. I had no consideration for the impedance and how the amplifier was sweating to drive them. Electronic DIY without occasionally doing something stupid is hardly possible.
Old 21st September 2019, 04:31 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, you just didn't look well. It is hidden inside near the rear surface.
A-ha ... that's where the magic smoke comes out! It comes out with the bass!
Quote:
After hearing what I could get out of a PAM8403 (even smaller than a DIP package) with a 5V supply,
You cheat! That chip is a SOP/SOIC! ... But this further validates my claim that the bass dosent live in A DIP ...
Old 21st September 2019, 09:38 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Yes, the magic smoke is actually fried bass.

Tba820 amplifierHide this!Advertise here!