Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Need help to get rid of noise
Need help to get rid of noise
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2019, 02:34 PM   #1
deletecm is offline deletecm
diyAudio Member

Default Need help to get rid of noise

Hi,

I have an amp that somehow makes noise that looks like a square wave around 1kHZ, and it gets to the output amplified. It's only present when the amp is turned on, so it's coming from the amp itself. The output (both channels) looks like this when no input signal is present:
Click the image to open in full size.

I'm also attaching the schematic. The amp doesn't even have digital circuits apart from a digital clock IC, and that doesn't seem to generate 1kHZ at any pin. So where is that noise coming from?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf schematic.pdf (281.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf schematic(1).pdf (285.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 11th August 2019, 04:00 PM   #2
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Did you by any chance test it with a multiway loudspeaker with broken-down squawker or tweeter as a load?
Old 11th August 2019, 04:12 PM   #3
deletecm is offline deletecm
diyAudio Member

There was no load at all, I only measured the output with an oscilloscope. Don't know if you can open that picture but it looks like a noisy 200mV peak to peak square wave.
Old 11th August 2019, 04:26 PM   #4
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

That's a pity, because then I haven't a clue what might be the cause.
Old 16th August 2019, 12:04 PM   #5
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Sounds like break-through from the 7-segment LED display circuitry. This is possibly getting to the amp's input section somehow (dried out decoupling capacitors perhaps).
Old 31st August 2019, 06:17 PM   #6
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The last time I had that type of problem turned out to be my desk top CFL lamp.
It was radiating near the amp and interfering with it.
Old 31st August 2019, 06:31 PM   #7
scobham is offline scobham  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Try to identify the problem area by scoping the various modules in the amp to see where the issue is generated. Usually this kind of problem occurs in a negative feedback loop or through coupling through the psu. I would suspect a faulty capacitor somewhere but without a bit more diagnostic info that's about all I can say.

Need help to get rid of noiseHide this!Advertise here!