Hi-fi amps or not

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The last one (a variant of the JLH 1969 design in WW) looks most likely to get you closest to high-end sound in my view. I doubt that the others are really classA. Mind you, just having a nice stuffed board won't guarantee the best SQ, you do need to pay attention to PSU and ground and signal wiring too.

The reason i am thinking about those boards is that the layout is simple with few component parts and also the reason why i stared a thread on the lm3886 chip amp.

The length of the signal path is very short, people are suggesting this is good for sound quality. In fact with the lm3886 i could probably solder all the components onto the pins of the chip. The layout is so simple there are fewer variables to take into consideration and fewer ways it can go wrong.
Unfortunatly with the lm3886 and a lot of others they require error correction which complicates the layout excessively

What do you think of this minimalistic approach, is this a good basis for selecting an amp or have i got it totally wrong.

The reason i am thinking about those boards is that the layout is simple with few component parts and also the reason why i stared a thread on the lm3886 chip amp.

The length of the signal path is very short, people are suggesting this is good for sound quality. In fact with the lm3886 i could probably solder all the components onto the pins of the chip. The layout is so simple there are fewer variables to take into consideration and fewer ways it can go wrong.
Unfortunatly with the lm3886 and a lot of others they require error correction which complicates the layout excessively

What do you think of this minimalistic approach, is this a good basis for selecting an amp or have i got it totally wrong.
Have you built an amp before? It sounds as if you've been reading articles on "gainclones"? :) An LM3886 amp is not a minimalistic approach, it just looks that way because most of the components are hidden ;) They don't require error correction, much depends on the standard of performance you are after.

In fact with the lm3886 i could probably solder all the components onto the pins of the chip.

You are correct: Point-to-Point LM3886

My only experience with LM3886 is with the cheap XY-kit, but for my ears it sounded ok. There were some complaints and at that time we lived in an apartment that had huge noise in power lines, that wasn't good for simple DIY power supply and amp. At the end I gutted the amp, but it got me interested in that chip.

Reading all the projects and comments, I've come to a conclusion that if I ever want to build a quality LM3886 amp, I might get my pcb's from Tom Neurochrome Audio: High performance DIY audio circuits.

There is also not so old thread about simple pcb design for LM3886, you should check that out also. An open source layout for LM3886?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi. Thanks for reading this thread got a few ebay numbers here appreciate what you think of these boards, are they hi-fi? 273204156174 323552800636 142706692800 272560751990 123806213655 112148094209

If you want to buy some stuff from ebay, I suggest goldmund clone, they sound good. Maybe better than those class A you listed. Plus, no heat at normal listening level. PS is very important for class A, if you go that way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.