Quick Question: LM3886 vs 2SC5200/2SA1943

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're trying to compare apples to oranges...there are clear avantages to each technology, and either can be well implemented or poorly implemented, there's a lot more to than just the parts used, the entire design will determine final quality. The "sound" of an amplifier is more dependant on how good the design is and how it is used, rather than the specific parts used.

Mike

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You can make an awesome sounding amplifier with either ... or an awfully sounding amplifier. It all depends on what you do with the devices.

Personally, I use the LM3886 because it provides a turnkey solution. I then add error correction to it to drive the distortion way down (and improve many other parameters as well). The end result is an amplifier that sounds absolutely fantastic with no colouration.

Tom

They both can provide great results and as mentioned above, depends on implementation and also on your final use.

For 5200/1943 I've built AKSA 55N+ (my favourite), BAKSA and P3A. For LM3886 I've heard Mauro Penasa, Chipamp.com, built several Audiosector (LM4780 i.e. LM3886x2) and currently building a ESP P19. I also have a nice sounding Arcam FMJ A19 which is LM3886 based. A friend told me that Hugh Dean heard Mauro's amp about a decade ago and said it had a bit of the AKSA flavour in it's sonics.

All these amps are a great listen, very engaging and differences are down to personal taste. Honestly I was surprised with LM3xxx based amps after building several SS amps and I enjoy them as much as my AKSA I used to have. Just have to be more careful with partnering speakers.

The 5200/1943 is much better at difficult speaker loads compared to the LM3xxx series. My AKSA would handle speakers that several mid priced commercial amps would baulk at. For my Chipamps I run 25V rails so they can handle 4 ohm loads.

You can make an awesome sounding amplifier with either ... or an awfully sounding amplifier. It all depends on what you do with the devices.

Personally, I use the LM3886 because it provides a turnkey solution. I then add error correction to it to drive the distortion way down (and improve many other parameters as well). The end result is an amplifier that sounds absolutely fantastic with no colouration.

Tom

Error correction on a LM3886--sounds interesting! I blew up my chipamp for my computer speakers a while back and have been wanting a 'better' design. Have you posted any articles/schematics about this design approach?

--Damon

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The 5200/1943 is much better at difficult speaker loads compared to the LM3xxx series.

That depends on the implementation. I've driven 2 Ω loads (and 1 Ω by accident) using my Modulus-686, which contains six LM3886es in a bridged-parallel configuration.

Error correction on a LM3886--sounds interesting! I blew up my chipamp for my computer speakers a while back and have been wanting a 'better' design. Have you posted any articles/schematics about this design approach?

Tons. You can find the description of my Modulus-86 (LM3886 with error correction) here: Modulus-86 R2.4: Composite amp. 70W (4Ω) @ 0.0001% THD. Should you wish to design your own, I suggest having a look at the references.
I've also written quite extensively on how to get the most out of the LM3886. You can find that here: Taming the LM3886 Chip Amplifier

Funny you're in Auburn. I used to be up the hill from you in Fed Way.

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.