1000 Watt Amplifier on IC PA03 APEX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to apologize for my English right away, this is not my native language. There was a long time ago the idea to assemble an amplifier for 1 kW on a single chip, and this can only be done on an Apex PA03 / PA03A microcircuit. But then there was no money and the ability to order from the US, because the price of one chip is $ 687 on DigiKey
404 | DigiKey.
And the MS05 socket is also needed; it costs about $45, the Heatsink is from 70 to $100. And still need a printed circuit board, capacitors, fan and other parts. And of course a powerful 2kW power supply with at least dual power supply. In general, the pleasure goes beyond the limit of $1000 per channel. It`s good that such an opportunity has now appeared.

The most interesting thing is that the Internet has not found any real projects for this IC, probably I will be the first company Apex in general to specialize in the production of powerful operational amplifiers mainly for precision mechanisms and engine control. But he also mentions in his datasheets that some microcircuits can be used as an audio power amplifier.

Made a scheme for negative feedback, Gain K= 20
here is the scheme
attachment.php

That's what happened
attachment.php

attachment.php

I drew a printed circuit board, and here the process of assembling the amplifier is interesting to anyone (Sorry, that in Russian, but I think it will be clear and understandable what is happening)
YouTube
YouTube
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The power supply units so far have gotten 2pcs of 53 Volts 2kW each is a telecommunication power supply unit standard 48V but in fact 53V. Load connected - resistive at 3.82 Ohm. Measurement using a Lecroy oscilloscope, as an input silane - a signal generator Rigol.
I didn`t explode, I adjusted the balance resistor R3 so that the output would have 0 voltage at the input signal 0. I gave a signal from the 1kHz generator, started with 1VRMS and gradually increased to 1.8VRMS, at the output of PA03 it was 34.2VRMS that was 307 Watts in terms of visible distortions, if more to the input file then clipping (see the video), you can see that there is a power limit on the scope of Pic-to-Pic 100V. If one half wave is taken to divide this 50V by the root of 2 = 50 / 1.41 = 35 V, then about what I did, there is also a drop in the PA03 internal transistors.

Well, where is 1000 wat AAA? I tried to stupidly get the maximum RMS output with distortion got 44 VRMS = this is 44 ^ 2 / 3.8 = 510 watts.

From what can still be done to increase the voltage of the power supply up to 75 volts, only from a datasheet with a higher voltage, less current gives. It is not entirely clear what will be in the end.
I want to make a pre-amplifier on an Ne5532 operational amplifier with K = 6. Maybe something will complain too.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.