RodeCaster Pro or Ground loop?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I just purchased a RodeCaster Pro and I'm hearing a buzzing/hum when I record. I took it to Sam Ash and they tested all the equipment and said everything is fine. I took all the same gear I used to test this to my fathers house and it works fine. Yet at my house I hear a buzzing humming sound. I wonder if anyone can tell me if the RodeCaster Pro is defective or if it is something with my electric at my house.

Here is what I have tried so far and what I can do to eliminate the noise at my house.

1. I tried all the outlets in my house that are within reason. Still buzzing/humming.
2. Tried to unplug everything in my office and only have this box plugged in and it still buzzing.
3. I notice I can get it to stop buzzing/humming when I place my hand on the actual metal board itself on the device.
4. If I use a phantom powered mic with this device it is quiet. (Not sure that is a good test or not but thought I would mention it)

My dads house I tested all the equipment (plugs, xlr cable, mic, etc) and everything is super quiet and nice soundings. However the difference at my dads house vs. my house is I have a 15amp circuit and he has a 30amp circuit. Makes me wonder if Sam Ash has 30 amp also. So is it possible that my RodeCaster Pro is defective and needs more than 15amps to power it quietly when it shouldn't? Or is my electric at the house most likely the problem?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It works for Sam and your Dad. It's just you.

30 Amps is for a water-heater. Not even a normal plug. Dad is surely 20A circuits.

This Rode is a fancy tablet, teeny power, probably 0.1 Amps demand.

You have no ground in your house. There's always hum in the air of any room with power. A grounded house outlet drains most of that off. Grounding your body to the Rode may drain the biggest-nearest hum-collector (you). I have no idea why a Phantom mike, without its own grounded power supply, would reduce hum.

Find out why your house outlets are not grounded.

Since I last posted I also went to my moms house and she has 20amp outlets. I tested over there and heard silence. I also noticed if I put the Rode Procaster mic near the RodeCaster Pro power supply it gets really really bad - not sure if that is normal though?.
I also tried to use a Pyle Mini Hum Eliminator, Ferrite beads, and those just seemed to amplify the problem. Perhaps I was using the mini hum eliminator wrong? Seems like only one way to use it though. I will look into my outlets more. I tried a 20amp outlet here at my house (unplugged the microwave to use that outlet. Circuit breaker said it was 20amp and not 15) and that made it a bit better, but didn't eliminate that problem like at my moms and at my dads. (divorced so separate homes). Is it safe to assume it isn't the RodeCaster Pro? I wonder if the power supply is problematic at lower levels like 15amp circuits?

If anyone has any other ideas based off this new information I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.