Looking for a chip amp that is built solid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I am thinking �� this is the best place to put this topic. I am looking at getting a nice small t amp or d class amp that I can carry around with me for everyday listening. So I had the first run of the dayton audio's 100 t amp with 50 watts a channel. It sounded nice but it would make a popping noise from turning on the amp and turning it off. ( I am guessing ot has to do with a power cap charging and discharing that is making the amp pop)? I did talk to dayton audio and they said.the data 100 should not do that popping. So they sent me out a new one through parts express. Got the new.one still same issue? So I sold it and kinda focused on other things in life. Well now I see a lot of different chip amps and t amps from all over the internet. So I am looking to get a t amp or class d amp that can go from 4 ohms to 8 ohms and up. I need this amp to power drivers from my computer to the drivers for measuring the T/S parameters of the driver using a omni mic. So I have between $250 and $350.00 no higher to.spend on my amp. So if I could get some.advice and help on were to go and what to look into for buying a chip amp?
Thanks Jeff

Last edited:
Fits right in your budget but it is not class D or T , is AB Akitika Store
why do you need to carry around a 50w amp?

Thanks for the link. Very nice kit. So the answer to your question? I want to measure my dad's drivers that are up north. He will not bring them home for some odd reason? I am getting A omni mic but, I don't have a power amplifer to power the drivers being tested? So the cord from my computer will go into the amplifiers rca hook ups and play the chirp through that? I was looking for something light weight and powerful enough to get a good reading on the T/S of the drivers. Jeff

I'd consider any of my amps to be built solid. None of them pop on start-up. You'll find them here: Neurochrome Audio: High performance DIY audio circuits.

An amp shouldn't pop on start-up anyway. In some topologies, it's unavoidable, though. That's what output muting circuits are for. :)

Tom

Thanks Tom and thanks for the link. That's what I was trying to say. The Dayton the 100 pops but, no one has ever told me about a output mutting circuit. I will look into this? Thanks again. Jeff

Sorry for the.late reply. Thanks everyone for all your advice and information in my posted subject. I am looking into a 10 watt amp and go.from there. So many kits to pick from? So now I am sorting through them and I will be getting a kit very soon. Thanks everyone for you help. Cheers Jeff

Thanks Tom and thanks for the link. That's what I was trying to say. The Dayton the 100 pops but, no one has ever told me about a output mutting circuit. I will look into this? Thanks again. Jeff

I had an irs2092 amp pop on power down wit ha massive thump.
IR said my power supply was dying to slowly on power down.
I had to put in a comparator to monitor VCC voltage and if it got below a set level muted the 2092. Worked a treat.
So I changed it to a PIC micro circuit and added a power up delay too.

I had an irs2092 amp pop on power down wit ha massive thump.
IR said my power supply was dying to slowly on power down.
I had to put in a comparator to monitor VCC voltage and if it got below a set level muted the 2092. Worked a treat.
So I changed it to a PIC micro circuit and added a power up delay too.

Thanks for sharing your input and what you did to fix the popping noise. That sounds about right with the power caps not powering down fast enough. Jeff

So i have a update kinda? I have a chance to buy a 4 channel powered used mixer. It has everything I need and its small.and light. It has powered mic out puts so I am guessing I don't need phamtom power anymore? And I can buy a reg. Non powerd mic as well? Is.this a good idea? Or should I keep looking for a indgraded amp with a phantom power microphone? It has a 2 channel amp as well to powerbmy drivers when testing them. Thanks. Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.