Large coupling caps creating extra noise?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm a total beginner and working on a fairly high gain audio preamp circuit with two stages. I'm using a fairly dirty 9v wall wart supply in order to test how well the circuit can handle bad supplies. The only two caps coupling the Opamp currently are a 0.1uf (ceramic) and a 10uf (electrolytic). They are mounted very close to the power pin of the opamp. I notice there is still some light background high pitched whine. So, when I attempt to add a 47uf, 100uf or 220uf to ground to hopefully filter the bad supply a bit more they actually boost this high pitched whine further. Can anyone tell me what the normal cause of this would be?

The 9v supply is being used to drive an old LA3161 chip. When I use a 150ohm feed resistor to VCC the whine seems louder than when I use a 10ohm feed resistor.
Thank you

Last edited:
It is a rather difficult to understand the problem. How are you judging the noise? Where are the caps, in the PS or near the amplif? A schematic and or a pic will help us to help you.

The noise is only judged by hearing it through speakers. The 0.1uf and 10uf caps are very close to the +V pin of the opamp. When I try to add the other filter caps but closer to the power supply input (DC Jack) I just get this increased noise. Thanks

LA3161 Stereo Preamplifier for car stereo, 12V operation,

The circuit is similar to this circuit. The issue happens regardless weather I use a single stage as seen here or use the stereo chip as two stages.

Last edited:
Is the noise similar in both channels? Where are you taken input and outputs graounds, near the IC or near the PSU? Which is the kind of noise:hum, white/pink noise, hiss?

Yea similar on both. Input and output grounds are closer to the DC Jack.
The noise is a combo of white noise (from the high gain) with a high pitched noise behind it. I'm more worried about the high pitched noise as I think the white noise may just be unavoidable?

Edit: the high pitched noise is what is being amplified by extra coupling caps.

ok, why run an amp in starvation and expect normal operation? and while your at it you say it's a 9v wall wart your running i hope it's DC and not AC!
the ic referenced will run at 9vdc but only into a 10 k load for preamp applications certainly not a 8 ohm loudspeaker as a load! or are you indeed sending the output to a power amp?

Try again shortcircuiting the input odf the amp. Perhaps it is detecting some heterodyne from near RF sources (AM/FM strong fields), led lamps, etc.

I am not sure if PSU is a simple iron transformer or a switching unit.

The PSU is a regulated DC supply.
I'm not sure what you mean "try again short circuiting the input of the amp"? What should I experience/learn from doing that?
Thanks

ok, why run an amp in starvation and expect normal operation? and while your at it you say it's a 9v wall wart your running i hope it's DC and not AC!
the ic referenced will run at 9vdc but only into a 10 k load for preamp applications certainly not a 8 ohm loudspeaker as a load! or are you indeed sending the output to a power amp?

Yes why? I've tried running it with a 12v supply as well and gotten the same results but yea I agree. Yes I'm using a regulated DC supply.

How does one figure a 10k load btw, I'm just not familiar as a beginner. I'm running it into a line level mixer not an 8ohm loudspeaker. Hopefully that info is helpful.
Thanks

Last edited:
Try again shortcircuiting the input odf the amp. Perhaps it is detecting some heterodyne from near RF sources (AM/FM strong fields), led lamps, etc.

I am not sure if PSU is a simple iron transformer or a switching unit.

Would an RF signal explain why adding the larger caps amplify the high pitched noise? I'm just not sure why that would strengthen the RF. Thanks

Would an RF signal explain why adding the larger caps amplify the high pitched noise? I'm just not sure why that would strengthen the RF. Thanks
Shorting the input let you know if there is entering noise from the the very start of the signal path, or is being generated inside the chip. I refer as shortcircuit the input, to place a wire between the two live input wires and the ground wire, very near to the input jack.

It would help if the OP distinguished between coupling caps and decoupling caps. He seems to be talking about the latter but calling them the former.

'Bypassing' caps can make things worse, by raising impedance over a certain frequency range. Maybe this is what is happening? Also, simple bolting extra caps onto an existing circuit can result in noise being injected into a ground.

Sounds like poor grounding.
The power supply and audio ground should be star grounded.

Many years ago I designed a audio mixer with power supply on the pcb.
I just mixed in the audio and power supply grounds as they came.
The result was 1 volt of hum on the output even with inputs shorted !
The charging impulses into the smoothing capacitors caused a voltage in the ground line which modulated the audio signal.
I reworked the pcb keeping audio and power supply grounds separate buit only connected at star point on pcb power connector and it worked great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.