Mono amplifier with bluetooth integrated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have been looking into this forum for some time now. What an amazing amount of information can be found here to get my project going. However as my knowledge is not yet sufficient enough to build my first project I want to ask for advice.

There was a YouTube video which shows a bluetooth speaker lamp (YouTube). I would like to build one myself. The guy in the video uses a separate amplifier and bluetooth module but I would like to use a MONO amplifier board with bluetooth integrated. I understand from reading the forum that one of the most used is with the TPA3118 chip. However I couldn't find a board that also supplies bluetooth as bluetooth is stereo by default. What is the smartest solution in my case?

Hoi Sjoon,

Also I will recommend you a separate Bluetooth receiver and a stand-alone mono amplifier TPA3118 is a good choice: huge supply voltage range, low quiescent current, good sound and little heating losses. Many of the amplifier boards with Bluetooth onboard have the disadvantage that an Asian voice, often in poor English, tell you when Bluetooth is connected or not - really irritating. Next, you cannot choose the quality of the Bluetooth yourself. Last, as you already know, mono-boards do not include Bluetooth.
From a separate Bluetooth module you simply do a resistive summing of the two channels to get your mono signal.

I have also found that the integrated boards often come with a 'turn on chime' but because the signal travels directly from BT->Amp, there isn't an easy way to modify the volume. The last board I used has the chime volume hard coded to full volume.. so every turn on is excruciating.

With a seperate BT module, you can not only pass the BT output to a volume potentiometer if desired, but some also allow a bypass input which lets you add a 3.5mm jack as an input.

You also get the flexibility of the best amp and best BT for your particular application, rather than relying on a compromise.

Thank you for the advice. I will go for a separate bluetooth and amp module. Decided to still go for a mono speaker so will lead stereo to mono on the bluetooth module.

Once bought I will post some pics on my project progress. Will need to see how it all fits in the smallest version possible to keep the speaker as lean as possible :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.