please look at this diagram:TDA2008 and real max output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!;)
if you read the datasheet, you'll see that the TDA2008 gives 12 watt into 4 ohm at 22 V.
However if that a look at the "output power VS. supply voltage" diagram (FIGURE 7, page 6 of 9), I notice that the TDA2008 can give up to 16 watt (into 4 ohm) at 25 Volt.
I'm a newbie:confused::confused::confused:, so guys, could you confirm that, please?
Here's the datasheet:
TDA2008 pdf, TDA2008 description, TDA2008 datasheets, TDA2008 view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

I hope you help me!:)
Thank you in advance for your kindness!
Best regards!:wave2:

The tda2008 can provide up to 3A. Into 4R load, that means a maximum of 18w (if sufficient supply voltage is available). That's indeed what shows the graph 7 p.6.

That's at 10% thd though, hardly hifi.

edit: there's no thd vs power graph in the datasheet but there's a little clue. A distortion figure of 0.12% is given for up to 6W @4R. Probably because it starts going bad at that point.

Last edited:
Thank yo so much 00940!
Sorry for my ignorance, could you explain better one thing: a 0.12% of THD is less or more than 10% of THD?:confused:
One more thing: that 0.12% of THD is at 18 volt, could this THD value be lower with a higher voltage power supply?
Thank you for ypur patience!:worship::worship::worship:
Best regards;)

With distortion, the lower the better. So 0.12% is much better than 10% (which is gross distortion).

I don't think a higher voltage will help distortion much. Maybe a bit as power goes up and the output signal gets closer to the rails.

But really, the tda2008 is a cheap IC so worrying too much about distortion is probably not worth your time. It's useful for what it is though.

Agree and add:

1) I´m curious about your using such a dated IC.
It follows the very old school biasing and feedback system pioneered by genius designer Bruno Murari, who invented the 5 leg chipamp.

Obsolete for many years, you definitely can´t even BUY it from any regular shop

2) datasheet power curves are invariably "optimistic" , reason being amplifiers DO provide rated power ... IF suggested supply voltage is kept at full load.

True in a Lab, where "25V" comes from a stabilized supply ... not true in practical application, where supply is typically an EI iron transformer + diode bridge + compromise value capacitors.

3) in practice, be happy to get 8 to 10W RMS ... NO clipping ... which is very good indeed.

Agree and add:

1) I´m curious about your using such a dated IC.
It follows the very old school biasing and feedback system pioneered by genius designer Bruno Murari, who invented the 5 leg chipamp.

Obsolete for many years, you definitely can´t even BUY it from any regular shop

2) datasheet power curves are invariably "optimistic" , reason being amplifiers DO provide rated power ... IF suggested supply voltage is kept at full load.

True in a Lab, where "25V" comes from a stabilized supply ... not true in practical application, where supply is typically an EI iron transformer + diode bridge + compromise value capacitors.

3) in practice, be happy to get 8 to 10W RMS ... NO clipping ... which is very good indeed.

Thank you JMFahey!
you make me happy! I want to use this old IC for a personal amp project...I need exactly 10 watt RMS from a not hi-fi vintage IC...so this is a goal for me!;)

Best regards:);):happy1:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.