Single Rail LM3886 oscillating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys, I need help. I am building an single supply +36V(SMPS) bridged LM3886 for 100V line speaker. But the problem is that whenever i adjust the VR(PR1) to minimum or maximum, the LM3886 will oscillate and the speaker will make shhhxhhhxhxhhxhxhxhx noise.

I tried to disconnect any input and play with the PR1, it is the same too. After that I did tried to ground the C3, the LM3886 will keep on oscillating, schhshhhchshschhhshshchh noise.

I did suspect the VR problem and i changed a different one, but the problem still there. But it is working completely fine when I turn the VR in the middle.

Any clue what is the possible cause that make the LM3886 oscillate?:eek:

Attachments

• lm3886.pdf
    77.3 KB · Views: 53
  • lm38866.jpg
    lm38866.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 187
LM3886 has a minimum gain requirement for stability. You look to be violating this when the volume pot is near the centre - at that point the input resistor seen by the device is about 3.5k for a 12.4k feedback resistor. Too low gain -> oscillation assured. The other LM3886 looks potentially unstable too (10k feedback, 2k to AC GND). C5 is wrongly polarized incidentally.

Last edited:
Could be because IC3 is still oscillating in that situation. Its certainly odd that you don't get oscillation at PR1 centre.

Oh I forgot to mention - the absence of zobels (RC on output) isn't going to help stabilty, refer yourself to the typical single supply application circuit (fig2).

Last edited:
Hmm.. I will try not to add the zobels network at output at this moment, I dont know but I think that is not the root cause of this situation

IC3 sensing a gain of 10k/2k continuously, i will try to increase the gain of IC3 to at least gain of 10 tomorrow. But I am still thinking that is not the root of the problem too...
The circuit does not know or care about what you "think", the minimum you can do is to meet *all* datasheet requirements, doubly so those related to stability
Only then, you start chasing other problems.
Which I think come from poor grounding/layout first and maybe poor input area shielding.

A heavily inductive load such as a line transformer is also hard to drive and will introduce its own problems.

And you need to add flyback diodes, from each chipamp output to ground and +B to avoid them self destroying when overdriven.

Also post some data about the line transformer you are using.

Are we helping you design a Commercial product? :confused:

Hmm.. I will try not to add the zobels network at output at this moment, I dont know but I think that is not the root cause of this situation.

IC3 sensing a gain of 10k/2k continuously, i will try to increase the gain of IC3 to at least gain of 10 tomorrow. But I am still thinking that is not the root of the problem too...

Really ? First off add those zobels. No reason to left these out whatsoever.

Then IC3 isn't seeing a gain of 10K/2K. It's seeing a gain of 10k/1.66k, about 6. Much lower than the required minimum gain of 10 for the lm3886 to be marginally stable. If your layout/decoupling isn't top notch, you really need to up the gain in the 20x range.

Then IC3 is operating as a differentiator, not an inverting amp, because of c15. Not a great idea...

IC1 is in a bad situation gain wise. What did you do exactly to put it to a gain of 15 ?

What's your rationale for the values of the compensation caps ?

Why 20k resistors on the + inputs ?

Why do you bother with c8+c3 or c5+c15 rather than using just one bipolar cap ?

And while we're at it, do your lm3886 come from a reliable source ?

And follow JonSnell advice, your bypass caps for the reference seem low. I don't have time to calculate things but it's all explained in here: Avoiding Op-Amp Instability Problems In Single-Supply Applications | Analog Devices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.