Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Yet another LM3886 lacking bass thread.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM   #51
00940 is online now 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

The lm3886 has an internal protection system (more about it in this app note). This will limit the power delivered by a lm3886 into a load. It will mostly affect the low frequencies but not at a set frequency, it's an interaction between level, load, frequency and temperature.

Having the lm3886 properly heatsinked helps but, ultimately, the only workaround to drive low impedance/low sensitivity speakers are paralleled ICs.
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM   #52
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Rod Elliott has just issues with it's protection system
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #53
anti is offline anti  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00940 View Post
It will mostly affect the low frequencies but not at a set frequency, it's an interaction between level, load, frequency and temperature.
It's a loosely similar effect as if you compressed the low frequencies only (f.e. sidechained a compressor with a lpf). Resulting in a "flattened" sound (i.e. not "round").

Imho a "loose muscle grip" on bass region describes the situation perfectly. Ymmv?
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #54
00940 is online now 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Not really in my view. With most music and speakers, at normal (including loud) listening levels, it's not active or audible at all. When it kicks in, it has gross distortion (look at the waveforms in the app note).

Btw, this applies even to composite amps as the modxxx or the myref. It's quite different to the psrr issue which, otoh, is really helped by the composite amps higher open loop gain.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM   #55
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
The “chip” itself is only part of the story. As anyone who’s heard or built any of Tom Chr’s Modulus series amps, the LM3886 does not inherently suffer from lack of bass.
+1

The LM3886 is both one of the most highly built, and most improperly built of all audio ICs. In a proper setup they are very good at what they do. Hearing TomCHRs Modulus amplifiers driving the Linkwitz LXMinis at Burning Amp fest this year was a very rewarding experience, and was probably one of the best solid state setups I have ever heard.
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #56
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Woofer of 8 Ohms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
+1

The LM3886 is both one of the most highly built, and most improperly built of all audio ICs. In a proper setup they are very good at what they do. Hearing TomCHRs Modulus amplifiers driving the Linkwitz LXMinis at Burning Amp fest this year was a very rewarding experience, and was probably one of the best solid state setups I have ever heard.
http://melp242.blogspot.com/2018/06/...pressions.html

Quote:
I decided to look for an amplifier in a half-rack width body so I can fit it into my gear rack. The woofer driver of LXmini is rated for 8 Ohm impedance and "long term power handling" for 80 Watts.

Click the image to open in full size.

The second—full range driver is 4 Ohm and requires less power. So I decided to look for a 4 channel amplifier rated for 100 Watts into 8 Ohms to have some headroom.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM   #57
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maty tinman View Post
Talking about LM3886, this amp has two, one by channel:

ARCAM FMJ A19

Very bad LM3886 implementation I think.
But it sounds great so the numbers are just part of the story. The sonic presentation reminds me of my AKSA 55N+.

Yet another LM3886 lacking bass thread.Hide this!Advertise here!