Snubberized gainclone psu with Centre Tap transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade the power supply in my gainclone to Carlos' snubberised version.

I can get a 250VA transformer with a single centre tapped 28-0-28 secondary for half the price of one with dual secondaries.
NHBQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Anything wrong with using a 28 - 0 - 28 transformer like so?

Also, the idea is to do this on the cheap. Any reason not to use 10000uf filter caps I have lying around?

Attachments

• snub.reg.psu2 for centre tap xformer.jpg
    snub.reg.psu2 for centre tap xformer.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
No (yes, it is wrong), you will short-circuit the transformer windings through the diodes supposed to generate the potential close to the mid-point. You need floating windings.
Try to find a current path from the mid-point and you will see the problem.
You can no doubt use your 10000uF instead of the 4700uF.

Last edited:
Yeah I was just working my way through that. Transformer wiring always does my head in a tiny bit. I think i have it right this time round.

Would it work to wire the rectifiers to the centre tap as though it was dual secondaries?

The ultimate question here is can a centre tapped transformer be wired as dual secondaries?

Attachments

• snub.reg.psu2 for centre tap xformer.jpg
    snub.reg.psu2 for centre tap xformer.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 57
Thanks Rayma.

I was afraid of that.

It looks like I have to spend the extra money for a transformer with dual secondaries.

Or, you use a symmetrical regulator design such that you have a regulator for the positive rail and a regulator for the negative rail. You can use LM317(positive)/LM337(negative) but they have to be buffered with an NPN and a PNP power transistor. Then, you can use your transformer with a center tap.

The need for individual windings arise from your intention to stack positive supplies.
Such less trivial rectification arrangements require us all to think at least twice before being sure it will work well. It is certainly not only you having overlooked a problem with such constructions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.