Best OpAmp based amplifier for Mid and Treble section

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello members

i am back!!! Busy hectic days with exams :D:D .. finally time for some questions again!!!

i have some query here. Now i am using LM1875 based opamp Gainclone Amplifier for my mid and treble section of my 3way floorstanders. Bass using Car amplifier.

Ok i want to focus on the mid and high sections only. I am looking for alternatives for LM1875 which can produce higher power at the same time can provide better linearity and noise performance.

Any Recommendations? Need to have better sound quality and more power than the LM1875 in short meanings.

Thanks alot ... !!!

The LM1875 can sound very nice. As mentioned, implementation is important, but when used properly it can give excellent results. If you need more power, you can move up to a more powerful chip or to a discrete design. However, if power is adequate and you’re just not happy with the sound, your speakers will impact the overall system sound much more than the amp. That’s where I’d be looking.

:D:DCorrect me if i am wrong ... long time ago i did have a LM3875 module (DIY). It tend to sound brighter especially on the treble end compared to LM1875 which has a more flatter treble end. Is it true?:D:D

Not true.

Properly implemented, either chip should sound flat throughout the audio band, when used within their proper operating ranges. The LM3886 is notorious for being built up wrong, so can often have poor performance when not done right. Look at the notes in the TI datashheet, and take the suggestions to heart. It really is a great chip when done right, if one pays attention.

Much better sound quality compared to LM1875?

I built a few LM1875 amps and could never get them to sound good, even after modifying signal paths, improving parts quality, changing power supply.

The first MyRef amps I built sounded so good that I sold my Audio Research amp. The MyRefs have only gotten better as I improved parts quality, and now the new Fremen layout with better power supply and some surface mount parts sounds superb. If implementation is important, then this is the best it will ever be. This is a reliable, proven design, and hundreds of builders are very happy with it.

Peace,
Tom E

I beg to differ. But that's just me. :)

Tom

Did you ever build the MyRef that was supplied to you, or are you hesitant to compare it to your design? Did you reciprocate by providing one of your boards so a MyRef builder could compare the two? A vs B in the same system is the only valid test, and boasting that yours sounds better without such a comparison is empty bragging. Has anyone done that? I would really like to know the results, if they're available. If no one has, I am tempted to do it myself. Is there any possibility you would cut me a deal on your more expensive boards for testing purposes? I would keep them and pay full price if they sound better than the MyRef, or return completed boards at no cost to you if they don't.

Peace,
Tom E

This would be of interest to me too. I found my ZD-50 boards from a decade ago and all the stuffing parts. Planned on four channels for a speaker I was running then. It is a deep null design too.
My current speakers (hopefully last) are 106 dB efficient. The First Watt will cover 99% of listening. Low level linearity is a key.
I may pass the ZD-50 on to someone with time and patience to build. But the cleanest output at less than a watt is my goal.
Currently running a My _Ref Evo Rev A. Almost finished with putting together a Fremen. Would love to have one of Tom’s designs to play with too.
The Fremen I built is special. Once done rechecking the wiring and initial power up I will post pics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.