Technics su-v4x no +14.7v voltage on ic201

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A totally whacky thought.

If resistors R706 or R707 were open circuit (or the print open !!!) then you would get virtually no voltage from Q701. Not obvious suspects but they would cause very low output voltage from the positive regulator.

Replaced Q703 with tested npn p/n: D592A (2sd592a) and still only 2volts at the at the collector of q703.

Note: resistor 3.3k still across the gate and drain of Q704 with FET removed. Should I also have a zenor diode across the drain and source?

I do have an k3313 n channel fet at hand, will check data sheets for pin orientation

Looking for a suitable Q701 from another scrapped amp. Will report back soon.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It works like this...

The FET (or resistor) biases on Q701, and if these were the only parts in circuit then Q701 would conduct hard and pass the full collector supply through to the emitter.

The -16 volt rail is fixed by the Zener and assumed a constant.

When the +16 volt rail reaches a point that causes the base of Q703 to reach around 0.65 volts (due to the action of the resistive divider), Q703 begins to conduct and so shunts away base current from Q701 to ground. If the +16 volt rail begins to fall then Q703 conducts a little less allowing the series pass transistor to conduct more heavily and meet increase the output voltage, always maintaining this balance of having 0.65 volts on Q703 base.

As to the fault... if we have +34 on the collector of Q701 and a very low voltage on the emitter then we can be fairly certain the problem isn't something drawing excess current.

That leaves three possibilities:

1/ Either Q701 is faulty in some way.
2/ Q701 is not receiving sufficient base current (via the FET)
3/ Something is pulling the base of Q701 down.

Not listed as faults are physical damage such as open print. If the base of Q701 were floating (open print) you would get this fault but here the clue would be that the cap C707 would have full supply across it.

In my considerable experience, being an ex service centre owner and service engineer for Panasonic and Technics amongst many more, the usual issue if the feed resistors are not open circuit, which they are not, is dry joints around the regulator transistor Q701. Any components mounted on a heat sink are also suspect for other faults due to vibration issues. The design is belt and braces so until the transistor has been re soldered, that is where I would look first then, if still faulty, look at why there is no base supply to Q701.
As Mooly states, it is either Q703, Q704 or C707. there is nothing else to fail without obvious failures.

Yes R706 was open circuit, I did check this a few days back as I remember the awkward spot it was in behind the SVI chip, something must have blown it in the mean time because it was definitely good, I have now replaced it with 15k resistor, took R707 out of circuit measure ok.
R705, R701 and D706 are also all good. C707 & c708 replaced with 47uf as I did not have 33uf. C709 and c710 already replaced with panasonic Fc's The old caps all measure good out of circuit.

I have already fixed all the dry joints as there were a few, nearly all the caps have been replaced on the main board except main caps. Also tried to disconnect the input board at J11 & j4 encase of shorts, makes no difference.

With 3.9k resistor from the collector of Q701 to the Gate of Q704 (with it removed) I am now getting 8.4v at the collector of Q701 and 7.2v at the gate or base of Q701.

Getting there but still something wrong. Maybe the replacement for Q703 (original 2sc1815) with D592A

If I had some spare transistor it would make it easier, I will have to order some new ones tomorrow. Will have another read through the post later when I have more time.

On checking the mosfet k246 Q704 (presume 2sk246) that I took out of circuit , source on left, drain middle, and gate on right, I checked in diode mode positive on drain and negative on source getting about 600ohms, the other way around nearly the same, does this mean the internal diode is bad?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
All those resistors would have to be checked out of circuit to get an accurate result. DVM readings are thrown by interaction with other components and even a few millivolts of residual voltage floating around.

Its extremely unlikely that those resistors would be open circuit, but theoretically they could generate the fault symptoms you see.

FET's are tricky to test (even out of circuit ;)) because being a super high impedance device means the gate can literally float and acquire some voltage... and that can turn the FET on and make it look like it is faulty.

When you use a DVM in 'Diode' mode you are not actually reading resistance but are in fact reading the voltage between the test probes as the meter generates its own test voltage. The '600' is actually 600 millivolts and is what you would expect across a forward biased PN junction (such as a diode).

If you want to satisfy yourself that the FET is good then just swap it with the other one, although having it bridged with a resistor guarantees the FET itself is OK.

I can't really suggest any more I'm afraid. If the parts are good and the print good then it has to work. Anything amiss after the reg and drawing excess current would just pull the 34v on the collector down... and that's not happening.

Hi,
I replaced Q703 (2sc1815) with a new BC182B yes swapped the pins around so they match, but still getting 8.2v at the collector of Q701 and 7.1v at the base. The fet is still bypassed with 3.3k resistor between gate and drain.

Checked continuity between

- side of c707 to chassis
Emitter of Q703 to chassis
+ side of c707 to gate of Q704
+ side of c710 to chassis

- side of c709 to chassis

all ok. will order a new fet and have a look around for a new Q701, I have a spare BC182B going to check data sheets to see if it would be a suitable.

Regards.

Finally sorted it, replaced both transistors, and installed original FET, but it was still pulling the voltage down, I started to disconnect jumpers one by one, starting with the RCA input board, first j11, then j4 one at the time, then disconnected the volume pot board and the +15v came back, checked the board and there was a short on the board, so happy was nearly going to give up. But this short was not the only problem on this thing, I would say all the dry joints did some damage too. Luck this is a hobby, as the hours put into this, but suppose its good for the environment anyway. Too much stuff being dumped these days. Now to cleaning up all the flux and put it all together, anyone recommend respraying new lacquer on the boards?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.