PGA2311 chip setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello..

I have been trying unsuccessfully to set this PGA2311 chip up on a breadboard .. I have a feeling I am handling the grounding incorrect, but I am not sure.

I plug it all in as per the schematic (or at least my understanding of the schematic) and while there is a signal passed through, the buzzing, crackles and hum is a lot louder..

well, actually when the Arduino and the analog power isn't plugged in it works fine, when I plug in arduino its passing thru but with a lot of noise, and with the analog v also the signal is barely audible for the noise..

I have probably jumped in the deep end given my level of knowledge, but its a very specific thing I am trying to do (not building an amp, only really interested in the mute function) but at the moment I am just trying to get it to pass a signal through without any noise so I can start working on the arduino code for it.

I even tried getting someone on fiverr to convert the schematic into a Fritzing breadboard for me after spending the last week trying to work it out myself, but he did such a hatchet job that I think it fried the PGA2311 chip based on his diagram. (blue smoke started coming out)

I know this is by no means a complex circuit.. but its doing my head in.

I have attached the schematic from the data sheet and the breadboard that was sent thru on fiverr. ignoring the fact he didn't use any of the correct components in the drawing (oscillators instead of capacitors, buttons instead of inputs) the thing which is still super unclear to me is how the analog ground is supposed to be wired.

also shouldn't the analog V + - be passing through the capacitors on the way to the PGA2311? in this diagram the Analog V goes directly to the pin with the capacitors on the other side? does that work?

sorry for the newb questions..

Attachments

• fritzing.jpg
    fritzing.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 442
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 2.33.49 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 2.33.49 pm.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 433
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
well, actually when the Arduino and the analog power isn't plugged in it works fine,

Not sure I understand correctly: are you saying that when the analog power supply for the PGA is not connected, it works fine? How can it work without analog power?
Or are you meaning analog power for the arduino?

Just trying to get a good picture of what works and what not, to diagnose the issue.

Jan

The PGA2311 board I have is a cheap Chinese rig that included a micro controller. I wanted to use a different remote so used an Arduino UNO like you use. I only have the Arduino load the PGA when a change is made. The Ardiuino is only listening to the IR receiver and shaft encoder and is powered from the digital +5 sourcing the PGA chip.

The main difference from your print is the addition of series resistors on the inputs and outputs along with input blocking caps. It is virtually silent.

I think you will find it will work way better on a PC board rather than a breadboard. Your bypass caps look to be minimal on the breadboard and may be your main problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.