Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Troubleshooting LM1875
Troubleshooting LM1875
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2018, 04:43 PM   #1
leRooie is offline leRooie  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Troubleshooting LM1875

Hi guys,

I recently finished building my first chipamp, with LM1875 boards from chipamp.com from when they were still around (must be almost 3 years ago now). I'm very pleased with the result, but I'm running into some problems after a first test. Both channels worked before, but after re-soldering some internal wiring and starting everything up again, the left channel seems to be bad.

The symptoms are: there's audio coming out, but very regularly, the signal drops. When playing on low volumes, it's less often, but at higher volumes, the drop out frequency increases and becomes a stutter. The right channel works fine, all inputs behave the same.

Some details: single bridge rectifier, stereo setup, I included a phono amp (the VSPS) on one of the inputs. I sourced the parts myself.

My knowledge of circuits is limited and I'm hoping one of you recognises the problem and can maybe point me in the right direction. Thanks a million!

Sietse
Old 25th August 2018, 04:47 PM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leRooie View Post
The symptoms are: there's audio coming out, but very regularly, the signal drops.
When playing on low volumes, it's less often, but at higher volumes, the drop out
frequency increases and becomes a stutter.
Can you post the complete schematic? Sounds like either an instability, or a lack
of DC offset voltage (if it's a single supply circuit).
Old 25th August 2018, 05:46 PM   #3
asuslover is offline asuslover  Romania
diyAudio Member

Troubleshooting LM1875
check for cold joints.....
Old 25th August 2018, 06:26 PM   #4
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Would you happen to have an oscilloscope? My experience with LM1875, apart from that it sounds very good when working correctly, is that it has a bad habit of self-oscillating (around 1MHz) above a certain output signal level. You won't hear the self-oscillation as such only the side effects. It can still provide an output signal but it tends to get very warm. Does your LM1875 become hot when it stutters?
Old 25th August 2018, 06:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
Can you post the complete schematic? Sounds like either an instability, or a lack
of DC offset voltage (if it's a single supply circuit).
Sure, but I used the standard schematic for the boards, same values etc. The right channel works fine.

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
Would you happen to have an oscilloscope? My experience with LM1875, apart from that it sounds very good when working correctly, is that it has a bad habit of self-oscillating (around 1MHz) above a certain output signal level. You won't hear the self-oscillation as such only the side effects. It can still provide an output signal but it tends to get very warm. Does your LM1875 become hot when it stutters?
Unfortunately, I don't. The left channel, which has the problem, does run significantly hotter than the right channel, which sounds fine.

Thanks for the reply's guys!
Old 25th August 2018, 07:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

As it runs hotter than the other channel it is likely to be such high frequency oscillation. It is not something trivial to get rid of.

What are your supply voltages?
What is your speaker impedance?
On that faulty channel, do you have a DC voltage on the output when the LM1875 becomes hot? (you can measure with a voltmeter in DC setting).

Last edited by FauxFrench; 25th August 2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 26th August 2018, 07:00 AM   #7
CB89 is offline CB89  France
diyAudio Member

Do you really have c3 = c4 = 100nF ?
Old 26th August 2018, 03:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
What are your supply voltages?
What is your speaker impedance?
On that faulty channel, do you have a DC voltage on the output when the LM1875 becomes hot? (you can measure with a voltmeter in DC setting).
Supply is 25V, speaker impedance is 4 ohm. I'm back in my studio tomorrow and will check the DC offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB89 View Post
Do you really have c3 = c4 = 100nF ?
Yes!
Old 26th August 2018, 07:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

For a start, replace the 100nF for C4 with at least 47uF.

The problems I observed are described here in posting #66: LM1875 Need help
I got a couple of very kind responses from someone more experienced than I. The responses were in short "don't use the LM1875 with more than 25V and if you use 4 ohm loads reduce the supply voltage".

The self-oscillation I observed was worse the more I increased the supply voltage and decreased the load impedance. I was careful with my power line decoupling but with 8 Ohm load and good 24V supply the self-oscillation would start. With a 4 Ohm load it would start around 18V.

When you are in your studio tomorrow, try to put a 10 Ohm power resistor in series with the 4 Ohm speaker and see if it still stutters. You can disconnect the speaker for the good channel meanwhile.

Last edited by FauxFrench; 26th August 2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 27th August 2018, 06:42 AM   #10
Bruce@bluff is offline Bruce@bluff  South Africa
diyAudio Member

R5 also seems a bit low, imho it should be closer to 10ohms

Troubleshooting LM1875Hide this!Advertise here!