TDA2050 vs. LM1875 for my gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my build project for a small gainclone.
Will be around 10W RMS into 8 Ohm and around 15 Watt for 4 Ohm.

Regulated LM317/LM337supply with bypass MJE15030/31 will be only like 2x15VDC.

I am leaning towards using TDA2050, but LM1875 is a good option, too.

Any thoughts about what is to be prefered?
Or does it not matter TDA2050/LM1875?

It might be LM1875 counterfeits as well.
I think it is nothing wrong with building with TDA2050

The counterfeit issue is very difficult to take into account.

A first logic tells me it has to be economically profitable to do the counterfeit. Thus, for a lot of concerns the product it postulates to be is not much more costly than the fake content we fear to be inside the housing.

In almost all cases the chip housing is not just a dummy with nothing inside. And, only the most obvious attempts of re-branding do not require some sophisticated apparatus to put new markings on the component or eventually make an own chip to put inside.

There is one rather obvious type re-branding of which I myself once got some items. They had clearly been grind on the top surface following which attempts had been made to engrave a marking in the rough top surface. No printing. Even, the purported manufacturers logo was turned wrong. For me a very high possibility they were fake but I cannot be sure.

I guess a lot of surprisingly cheap components may be technically as you expected but may violate legal rights.
Legal rights involving even stealing, violation of brand-names, violation of copy rights, violation of trade-mark, violation of intellectual property rights, unauthorized sale etc.
It is not trivial to make an IC looking like it is an "original" product.

I guess a lot of, shall we say "grey" components, are made according to original production masks and techniques but parallel to or following an official production.
As one example I, have an amplifier based on a TA2022 chip (it says so on the housing). Tripath went in bankruptcy in 2007 and to my knowledge Cirrus Logic (who took over) never continued such a production. In 2017 I nevertheless bought an amplifier based on a chip marked TA2022, with the Tripath logo and stating Korea. The amplifier just sounds great but what is actually the technical and legal status? Cirrus Logic may have an arrangement with a Korean company. Due to certain particular functionality, the TA2022 chip cannot just be replaced by another chip inside the housing.

As long as you do not purchase for re-sale, your legal concerns are limited.

Then comes the technical doubt: does this component perform as you could expect from the branding? This doubt will always remain. What if is an original product but just one of the specimens that performs outside a parameter that wasn't tested on wafer level? To know, we then have to test all parameters and anyway, it is possible that someone has copied the original design and a "fake" performs to specs.

It is a concern that has no end. If you re-sell the product you better buy at a well reputed seller, but even then you cannot be sure. Many of you may have heard about various food scandals where the product wasn't as assumed.

For us only constructing for own fun: probably the less you pay, the bigger is the risk that there is something irregular involved.

Else, my advise is enjoy your construction if you think it performs well. Even if it involves a "fake", you may learn as much about DIY "as if it was "real".
The real/fake concerns can spoil your DIY pleasure.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Yes, there are many aspects of the fakings.
I will buy at a wellrespected business here in Sweden.
The price is not low, but I am willing to pay.

The riscue I get something bad is almost zero.

I think I go ffor the TDA2050, as my thoughts were from beginning.
I prefer this chip to the LM1875

This is what I will build.

As told my target is 16W into 4 Ohm and 10W inot 8 Ohm.
My speakers are 4 Ohm.

I will also put a Zobel network on output. 100nF+4R7.
Also a wirewound inductor across a 10 Ohm resistor in series with output.

Attachments

• GaincloneTDA2050.png
    GaincloneTDA2050.png
    17 KB · Views: 767
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.