Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Trying to replace my Carver Power amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2017, 07:30 PM   #11
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

From your pictures, the voltages match. That's one thing.

The rest of the amplifier looks very similar but with different parts. Too bad you don't have the big blue caps, they would have made things easier.
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:18 PM   #12
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

I think this part is all the same. The schematic snip cuts-off the two 5000-10000uFd caps for the +/-25VDC rails, but they gotta be there. It appears the 0VAC wire changed from yellow to blue. Connector numbers look un-changed? And those large flat heatsinks are begging for big devices.

As for the amplifier details: I would not over-fret. Everybody has a favorite and praises it lavishly; but any horse may win on any given day. Throw darts at known good plans and just build one.
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:18 AM   #13
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00940 View Post
Too bad you don't have the big blue caps, they would have made things easier.
Hmmmm...I don't know... I've always been partial to GREEN caps myself, but.....sometimes they can be hard to find.
Old 4th December 2017, 02:26 AM   #14
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Dedy,
For sure, repair the Carver. It's a really nice amplifier that can be made to sound better. This is a really nice amplifier and sometimes it is well worth having an expert repair something. Maybe once you have more money to allow for this.

I owned the Canadian warranty service shop for Carver and found them to be very reliable normally. Done right, you will appreciate an expert's work on this amplifier.

So, what happened when the amplifier failed, and what have you done in the past with it? The circuit boards are critical, so no matter what do not damage the PCB. There are some new parts that work fine in these amplifiers. So it is anything but a lost cause!

-Chris

Trying to replace my Carver Power ampHide this!Advertise here!