Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Mod-286 build thread
Mod-286 build thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2018, 09:20 AM   #171
ukhopeful is offline ukhopeful  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Now with added Guardian-86 goodness

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th August 2018, 12:05 PM   #172
diyAudio Member

Default Trigger and remote control

No nasty pops on power on and off now Guardian-86 has been included

YouTube
Old 10th August 2018, 04:34 PM   #173
HarmonicTHD is offline HarmonicTHD  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhopeful View Post
No nasty pops on power on and off now Guardian-86 has been included

YouTube
Nice.

Although I never had any pops during power on / off. At least not if I switch on the source first and even then itís barely audible.
Old 10th August 2018, 07:25 PM   #174
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

I always power up from the source to the speaker and power down from the speaker to the source. No pops here.

If you leave the power amp on and turn on the source, you'll likely get a pop as the source's output comes up. There's really no way around that. After all, a pop caused by the source powering up is indistinguishable from any other signal from the power amp's point of view. The amplifier will do its job and amplify the input signal - even if the input is a pop from a source powering up.

If I was to design a system from end-to-end, I'd either control the power-up sequence of the various pieces of equipment or have each output feature a mute switch. There are advantages and drawbacks of both of these approaches.

It's good to see the Guardian-86es being put to good use, though. Thanks for sharing your build pictures.

Tom
Old 10th August 2018, 08:18 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

The problem I had was at power off. When the preamp triggered the power amp, the power amp powered down more slowly that the preamp. One solution would be to delay the preamp power down which would require a firmware change to the control board I am using. Since that is not possible yet, the Guardian-86 fixes it by muting the speakers quickly enough.
Old 10th August 2018, 09:04 PM   #176
diyAudio Member

Yeah. It does take a bit for the supply caps to discharge. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm glad the Guardian-86 worked out well for you.

Tom
Old 23rd September 2018, 11:00 AM   #177
s666foto is offline s666foto  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Tom,

Any news on the development of the revised mod286? ETA?

gr, Sander
Old 24th September 2018, 02:09 AM   #178
diyAudio Member

Some... I took delivery of the prototype boards a couple of days ago. See attached (pardon the crappy cell phone picture). I haven't had a chance to do much other than admire their beauty. The coming week will be insane, so don't expect anything to happen until October.

I'm planning to have these tested and available for purchase (at least open up for pre-orders) by the middle of November. I'd like to hit the US Thanksgiving shopping extravaganza.

The prototype boards are green ('cause it's lower cost). The final boards will be blue and gold plated. They'll be available in two options:
1) SMD pre-populated.
2) Fully built and tested module.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0075.jpg (280.9 KB, 97 views)
Old 24th September 2018, 07:22 AM   #179
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Tom - enjoy Burning Amp - package is on its way to Dom

When you're able to come up for air, I think pricing and ETA on the two options listed would be of interest to at least a few folks.

cheers
Old 24th September 2018, 10:28 AM   #180
diyAudio Member

Well... It'll be October before I'll have time to push on that project. Assembly takes 2-3 weeks. PCB manufacturing takes two weeks. So realistically, I'll deliver a stack of PCBs and a box of components to my assembly house by early/mid November and open up for pre-orders then. I'll start shipping the SMD-prebuilt option in early December.

The lead time on the mechanical bits I need for the completed module take about a month. I can get those going now so I have them ready when the assembled boards arrive.

I think this timing is realistic. It does assume that prototyping goes well, which I expect it to.

Tom

Mod-286 build threadHide this!Advertise here!