Altec Lansing MX5021 DEAD! :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Altec Lansing MX5021 Amp upgrade!

So I have Altec Lansing MX5021 dead Amp board. In my part of Europe I couldn't find anyone who could repair it. So I came on to idea, buying from aliexpress 2.1 amplifier and manually installing it. I took a quick a look and as I see it there are some really nice solutions. Since they came out I was reading on forums people complaining about cheap Amp section although the rest of system was phenomenal. I wasn't planing but since the Amp is dead I am going to do modification/upgrade of the Altec Lansing MX5021 2.1 system. Can someone recommend the best out there 2.1 Amp from aliexpress since it is the most convenient way of getting one for me?

3873a5f6ec.jpg

SPEAKER SYSTEM DETAILS
Speaker Type satellite speaker, subwoofer
Speaker Qty 1, 2
Nominal (RMS) Output Power 20 Watt, 50 Watt
Frequency Response 150 Hz, 40 Hz
Input Impedance 4 Ohm, 6 Ohm
Connectivity Technology wired
Crossover Channel Qty 2-way

Last edited:
Bumping a very old thread, but I am in the same dilemma, my mx 5021's amp blew, replaced the voltage regulators, the IC 7265 and 7295, and it looks like the audio processor TDA7433 needs to be replaced too which is hard to find (ordered one from aliexpress) and even after that its not sure if it will be fixed.
anyway, could someone recommend me a cheap amp( 50 to 150 $) replacement that i can buy from aliexpress and power the speakers and sw.

I have a similar Altec Puter speaker setup. It recently died as well.
I found /bought an Ebay 7377 based 2.1 amp board for ~10$.. delivered (same chipset as in the A Lansing contraption)
This board has it's control knob board on a ribbon cable extension . I also fitted a Genuine 5532 IC (it's tone control chip) as 'precaution'
Refitted it inside the AL sub box, replacing the original. However I elected to use an external 19v PS brick (had several about )
rather than the AL's inboard linear PS.. (for no real reason though)
Only issue is the control knobs are now on the back of the Box..
a Nuisance but hardly a back breaking concern.
Sound, to my surprise is every bit as (good?:rolleyes: arguably better even than the original.
Zero extra noises or on off ones either. I'm pleasantly surprised
Reality is the AL speakers are average at best , so a ' better' audio quality amp would be wasted here.

Last edited:
... Reality is the AL speakers are average at best , so a ' better' audio quality amp would be wasted here.
1. Thanks for your reply.
2. as for the quote: really? which desktop speakers are better?
3. Another solution may be buying an amp and placing it outside the sub - on desktop, so all control is at your fingertips. For instance: Hot Bluetooth Subwoofer Amplifier 100W Hifi Stereo Tpa3116 2.1 Volume Adjust Amplifier Power Audio Amplifiers Amp 50Wx2-in Operational Amplifier Chips from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

What do you think?

Erm Peerless tc9's are a LOT better sounding also ~11$ each at parts express.

Fit the amp module wherever you want . I have enough clutter on my computer desk already.
So I buried controls that I rarely ever access.

3116 type amps often (typically even) have unpleasant On /off noises.
Also your example is a fairly ubiquitous 10$ Amp in an overpriced case.
Whatever pleases though.

Last edited:
If you have an Altec Lansing MX5021, don't get rid of it. Take the effort to get it repaired.

There is now nothing in the PC/2.1 space that even comes close to the sound quality of these speakers. All new Altec Lansing and other PC speakers are garbage.

The only thing that compared to the MX5021 was the Creative Labs T3/T4 2.1, but these are not not available anymore either.

I have tried almost every PC speaker set out there and they have gotten worse in sound quality over the years.

The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 is still being made but the current version is inferior to the original from 15 years ago, it also has problems at low listening volumes, and IMO is not as good sound quality as the aforementioned MX5021 and Creative T3/T4. Even the Audioengine is overrated and not as good as these older designs.

Agisthos - reply

Thank you for you comments.
I did insist on repairing the Altec Lansing. What I got is a technician that ruined the amp altogether.
So, I have decided to get rid of the amp and keep the speakers. I connected a simple Chinese amp to the speakers - and that's it.
Not the same sound quality, but suits my needs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.