Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Ceramic Capacitor for audio input
Ceramic Capacitor for audio input Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2017, 02:43 PM   #1
udhay_cit is offline udhay_cit  India
diyAudio Member

Default Ceramic Capacitor for audio input

I need to make my TDA2050 chip amplifier very compact. Is it OK to use 1F SMD ceramic capacitor for my amplifier input? Or we need to strictly use electrolytic capacitor?
Old 3rd May 2017, 02:55 PM   #2
OlegSh is offline OlegSh
diyAudio Member

The problem with the ceramic capacitors is that the only dielectric accepted in signal path is NP0(C0G) but the highest capacitance available for such capacitors is around 0.47uF at the moment. If you parallel two of them you should be fine. At 1uF the alternative would be film capacitor rather than electrolytic.
Old 3rd May 2017, 02:57 PM   #3
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

It is my opinion that you can use ceramic providing it is NP0/C0G type of ceramic. I really like these capacitors and use them in lots of places. But for an input cap I like larger values and I prefer to use bi-polar electrolytics from Nichicon audio range. They can be very small in size and you can use a 10uF value - I encourage you to look at this option.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 3rd May 2017, 04:24 PM   #4
Arty is offline Arty
diyAudio Member

fine as long as its NP0,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerami...quenz-engl.svg
see image for explanation.
other cermaics have a freqvency dependent capacity and are not quite suited as input caps.

however i prefer some smaller foil types paralelld.. as long as it gives around 5-10 uF its more than enough. the -3 dBL point will be far out of the recorded material, any further reduction of 3fL is useless.
Old 3rd May 2017, 04:35 PM   #5
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

I've used 4.7 uf aerovox 50 v ceramic as an input cap. John C would not approve. It sounds waay better than the poppity from the store tantalum caps (both of them) I replaced. Your luck buying tantalum may be better than mine.
I think the 50v rating ceramic on a 1 v signal linearizes the passthrough signal somewhat. My speakers are 20 db down from 1 W level harmonic distortion (actually rated that by manuf.) so if yours are .0003% hd you might hear the difference to electrolytic. Not very likely, IMHO.

Last edited by indianajo; 3rd May 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 3rd May 2017, 04:41 PM   #6
irribeo is offline irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Just do it :)

You won't make a zero distortion amplifier with tda2050 but
TI uses 10uF x5r 16V 0805 to reach this ampboard performance:Click the image to open in full size.

edit: sorry incorrect, 1206, x7r, 16v: grm31cr71c106kac7l, Murata

Last edited by irribeo; 3rd May 2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 3rd May 2017, 04:59 PM   #7
Arty is offline Arty
diyAudio Member

why not just stick with film types ?
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I started my projects years ago with a film cap at the input, usually MKP 0.47uf. One day I tried a bipolar electrolytic and it sounded better - by that I mean subjectively I preferred it.

You can use capacitance values that are large enough to ensure that the signal induced distortion is negligible, that low frequency response is great, and with bipolar you have much lower distortion to start with. My best sounding amplifier uses it on the input (and feedback shunt if I remember).

I would encourage you to hear some different capacitors with your own ears, as there is no substitute for your own experience. You can make a pcb footprint that allows you to install two different options fairly easily.

My favourite is a tiny cap, a 5mm diameter footprint (2mm lead spacing), 10uF 25V that cost less than a dollar from the Nichicon MUSE (audio grade) range.

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...4-1-ND/4317799
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap.jpg (17.7 KB, 507 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:44 PM   #9
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I've just built the Doug Self preamp that's full of those, up to 470uF. Sounds good to me
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I like the vibrant colour too

Ceramic Capacitor for audio inputHide this!Advertise here! Ceramic Capacitor for audio input