Elektor's Preamplifier 2012 in 2017

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Thanks - that helps a lot.
I've made some measurements with ARTA meanwhile and found that I also have a slight 50Hz mains hum in the phono stage. I suspect that my transformer might be just to close to the phono PCB.

Since I don't have any options to rearrange the components, I am thinking about moving the PSU components to an external box entirely.

An external PSU is a good solution, HF interference could be an issue though.
If the transformer is actually too close, you could alternatively put a metal sheet between the two.

Is there any sense in making the amp-circuit simpler? Less components = less noise?

Suppose I do not have balanced signals, never adjust bass or treble, and am happy with 2 mono volume-pots so I do not need a balance-pot. What all can be left out?

For treble and bass that is obvious: just leave-out all components that are no longer in the audio path if the tonedefeat switch is activated. (middle circuit)

For the balance this is less obvious: what is the shortest quality-audio path from the input opamp to the volume-pot? Is that as in the 3rd circuit or had I better keep some of those "balance-components" in?

Attachments

• options.jpg
    options.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 482
HI All

I am new on this topic and would like you is able to help/support any new builder that goes to build this preamp. As Elektor stopped any support this means I need to have someone that can help. Who is able ? Is that still makes sense to use this "kit" or the one supported by Carl or Doug ?

I just wanted to build a good preamp, it will cost money and I do not want to go in no way because it is old or no support available.

Thanks for your inputs

Georges