Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

My Q-Watt project
My Q-Watt project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2017, 02:50 PM   #601
popchops is offline popchops  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Me too Calpe :-) it's permanently switched on in my house.

I bought some new plugs and biwired the speakers using half-length cables, but can't say I've noticed much difference.

I've given away my old amp now to my Dad, so there's no going back for me!

Pops
Old 25th September 2017, 02:56 PM   #602
delange is offline delange  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Save your money: bi-wiring is a marketing thing. It is absolutely useless.
Old 26th September 2017, 10:05 AM   #603
diyAudio Member

I'm really pleased with the sound quality at low levels ~1 Watt. It's really important for domestic use day to day.

I found a good looking DIY DAC: search for DA24QS. Maybe next project...

At least biwiring has reduced my cable resistance by a factor of 4. Resistance was very low though even with original 5m length. Too low for me to measure.

Pops
Old 26th September 2017, 12:16 PM   #604
diyAudio Member

Since the Q-Watt damping factor is so high, and output impedance so low, there is a theoretical improvement in overall damping factor by reducing cable impedance to <15 mR. Audible? I doubt it...

Last edited by popchops; 26th September 2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 26th September 2017, 06:33 PM   #605
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popchops View Post
Since the Q-Watt damping factor is so high, and output impedance so low, there is a theoretical improvement in overall damping factor by reducing cable impedance to <15 mR. Audible? I doubt it...
You need to put things in perspective: cable resistance is usually expressed by 1000 meters. In your home, the typical cable length is way less than 1000 meters (example 5 meters).

Example: the Sommer cable 425-0051 has a resistance of 7.5 ohms per 1000 meters. So you 5 meter speakers cable would have a cable resistance of 0.0375 ohms. Even cutting that value by 4 is meaningless.
Old 6th October 2017, 03:30 PM   #606
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delange View Post
Example: the Sommer cable 425-0051 has a resistance of 7.5 ohms per 1000 meters. So you 5 meter speakers cable would have a cable resistance of 0.0375 ohms. Even cutting that value by 4 is meaningless.
Well, the contact resistance at the terminals is way higher than that anyway. And while we are at that, gold plated terminals are crap. Why? Because before the gold plating they are nickel plated and since every layer of different material adds another contact resistance, it's worse than nickel only.
Old 6th October 2017, 08:15 PM   #607
Chris888 is offline Chris888  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Don't forget the skin effect.
My house came with some built in speaker cables, but they are on the slim side.
I'm also currently running multi-room, i.e. another pair of speakers in the kitchen, which is a lot more than 5m of wire.
Old 7th October 2017, 07:17 AM   #608
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris888 View Post
Don't forget the skin effect.
My house came with some built in speaker cables, but they are on the slim side.
I'm also currently running multi-room, i.e. another pair of speakers in the kitchen, which is a lot more than 5m of wire.
The skin effect is not a concern for frequencies in the audio domain. It becomes a factor in high frequency systems; way above the audio spectrum.
Old 29th October 2017, 01:12 PM   #609
frankroet is offline frankroet
diyAudio Member

Dear,

I was just searching the internet for others who made the q watt amplifier. I made one last year.
I am also working on a website which is not ready yet. I want to post also my parts list, etc.
For who are interested here is my q-watt project.
Development of a DIY High-end Amplifier

Best regards,

Frank
Old 9th February 2018, 09:13 AM   #610
Turbowatch2 is offline Turbowatch2  Germany
diyAudio Member

I was interested in building a pair of these amps. But history repeats, as always with Elektor projects:

Around 1976 the Equa amp,

1980 Power PA

1985 Crescendo

some essential parts are unobtanium. Why do they always pick parts that are not available or phased out a year or two after they presented it? Exactly because of this problem with potential spare parts, I will not buy one of the last kits available.

Also, sometimes it took a very long time until all little faults of these projects were officially sorted out. "We had some problems with parts from different manufacturers" was the standardized answer.
Funny enough in about 40 years of successfully building audio stuff, it was always and only Elektor kits making problems. As an old technician told me once: Their amps always oscillate, their oscillators never. They leave the beta testing it to their customers. They love it to sort out design mistakes by them selves.

So now, because I don't get the transistors for the Q-watt, probably I will never experience a working Elektor amp. I'm really sad.

My Q-Watt projectHide this!Advertise here!