Neurochrome LM3886DR Build

I added a section to my Taming the LM3886 series describing my rationale for my supply voltage recommendations, how much power you can expect from the LM3886, and the impact of parallel, bridge, and bridge-parallel operation. The text is probably still a bit rough around the edges but the content is there. I'll make another editing pass tomorrow with my morning coffee. Enjoy.

Taming the LM3886: Output Power

Tom

I'm currently trying to collect all the parts for the SMPS-86 power supply and I'm having a really hard time finding an Omron Relais. The Omron Part Number is G5NB-1A4 DC24. Any recommendations where I could find it?

Mouser has it. Also note that the G5NB-1A DC24 is the same relay just not the sealed version. Unless you plan to wash your boards after soldering this has no impact.
Figure below is from the first page of the data sheet for the G5NB relay. You'll notice lots of options and many of these are in stock at the common vendors (Mouser/Digikey/Newark/Farnell/et al.) The only option that's critical for the SMPS-86 is the 24 V coil voltage.

Tom

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 13.39.19.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 13.39.19.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 484
The high capacity 'E' version can handle 5 A. The non-'E' version can handle 3 A. They're interchangeable in this application but the 'E' version is more expensive.

Attached figure is from Page 2 of the data sheet and explains the difference between the normal and high-capacity versions of the relay.

An easy way to find the data sheet is to type the part number into Mouser. The product page will have a data sheet link near the top of the page. Alternatively, one can type the part number into Google. That works for the relay in this case, but for other parts getting Google to come up with the data sheet hosted by the manufacturer can be a bit of a gong show. Mouser (or the manufacturer's website) is more handy for that.

Tom

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 12.08.55.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 12.08.55.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 633
Last edited: