Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Neurochrome LM3886DR Build
Neurochrome LM3886DR Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2018, 11:25 PM   #421
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozenfant View Post
Ah, that I do not have. Any recommendations on how to approach that? I guess literal holes bored through the side would be one approach, or perhaps routing a channel on the inside that exits at the back?
If possible orient the heat sinks such that the fins are vertical. Then either let the heat sinks poke through the side of the chassis or drill a bunch of holes below the heat sink fins and above them for the air to flow through.

Tom
Old 16th September 2018, 11:32 PM   #422
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Ideally I think you’d want to create a open air path for convection - usually with the fins of heat sinks oriented vertically. With high efficiency class D type amps such as Hypex modules, the thick extruded side panels of something like the DIY Audio store Slimlines work great, but amps like Toms, or the class A ACAs need either surface area exposed to free air, or some other creative heatsink /cooling mechanism with which to dissipate that thermal energy.

OK, I see Tom answered pretty much the same thing

Neurochrome LM3886DR BuildHide this!Advertise here!