Voltage Doubler Rectifier suitable for GC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been using CT transformers for all my GC type amps with zero problems. However, I was toying around with quasi grounding and such. I found that I could actually "get by" pretty well with a pair of 2W 430ohm resistors forming a voltage divider across the +/- DC input to make a "floating" ground. It works with no hum and nothing gets hot....can it be used long term like this? Are there side effects? BTW, I'm using a 4766T (stereo 30WPC).

Also, I came across a commercial subwoofer amplifier using the TDA2050. It was a (rated) 35W unit and utilized a voltage doubler recitifier on a single secondary transformer. It worked very well - I thought voltage doublers were only good for very low power amplifiers/processors??

Anyone else have experience with this? I have reasons for wanting to reduce costs...

:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.