Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Driving high watt speakers w/lower watt amp?
Driving high watt speakers w/lower watt amp?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2016, 05:43 AM   #1
bwolf is offline bwolf  India
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Driving high watt speakers w/lower watt amp?

Hello Friends

Newbie speaker x wattage question

I have SONY SS-DX3 speakers. So, they are rated 60-75W Dont know Original Watt rating( cant find)
recently purchased TPA3116d2 50w x2 amp.
Can it handle both speakers at 150W ?
Is it ok to drive high wattage speakers with (slightly) Low wattage amps? how much difference is Ok for efficiency(for both speaker/ amp). im concerned about Sound quality
im noob help me ? thank you very much
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by bwolf; 29th January 2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 29th January 2016, 06:38 AM   #2
Fast Eddie D is offline Fast Eddie D  United States
diyAudio Member

The speakers are rated 60-75 watts, and you're concerned that a 50 watt amplifier won't drive them?

Seriously?
Old 29th January 2016, 06:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

no its a100w amp

250W 4-Ω TPA3116D2
2x 30W 8-Ω

I want to connect it to 60-75w 6-Ω speakers (pair)?

Last edited by bwolf; 29th January 2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 29th January 2016, 07:29 AM   #4
keeflester is offline keeflester  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Your amp will drive these speakers fine. You won't need them at full power for domestic listening.
Old 29th January 2016, 09:37 AM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolf View Post
no its a100w amp

250W 4-Ω TPA3116D2
2x 30W 8-Ω

I want to connect it to 60-75w 6-Ω speakers (pair)?

It's a 30W amplifier when supplied with 24Vdc and feeding an 8r0 test load. look at Fig 10, THD+N skyrockets past 0.1% at ~31W into 8r0 if you can maintain 25C and 24Vdc.
It would be rated as a 30W into 8ohms amplifier, if you use a regulated power supply and build it properly.
Maximum supply voltage is 26Vdc, so expect when allowing for mains voltage variations to supply 23 to 24Vdc when quiescent (no output current) and that this would drop to <22Vdc when under maximum load.
That will limit maximum output power to <<30W into 8ohms.

Last edited by AndrewT; 29th January 2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 29th January 2016, 10:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

thank you both.
Is it ok to drive high wattage speakers with (/slightly) Low wattage amp????or vise versa?
Old 29th January 2016, 10:34 AM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

There is much to be said for using low power amplifiers driving high power speakers and for high power amplifiers driving low power speakers. Both arrangements work. The range for acceptable power values is enormous.

Damage is usually due to incompetent operator.
Old 30th January 2016, 03:42 AM   #8
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

75W* speakers

*Rated. Actually, most likely way less
Old 30th January 2016, 05:58 AM   #9
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

bwolf:

The speakers wattage rating is the MAX you can feed the speaker. There are lots of ways to blow up speakers and feeding them to much wattage is one of them.

If your amp can do 150W you will damage the speakers at full volume. But you won't use full volume because that would be extremely loud. As long as your ears aren't bleeding you will be fine.

It's perfectly acceptable to use a 1 watt amplifier or a 1 million watt amplifier with those speakers as long as you don't exceed 75 watts.

Another way to destroy speakers is with DC voltage. When an amplifier is operating within it's limits it produces AC voltage. If it's pushed too hard it will produce DC voltage which will burn up the voice coils of the speakers. This will occur at high volumes or due to malfunction. Your amp is really a 30 watt amplifier until it begins to distort, the 150W rating is really just a marketing number.

As long as the volume is sane and you arent hearing any distortion you will be using less than 30 watts...which is below your speakers 75W rating.
Old 30th January 2016, 06:09 AM   #10
Fast Eddie D is offline Fast Eddie D  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenze View Post
75W* speakers

*Rated. Actually, most likely way less
Of course. I didn't see the speakers when I first looked at the thread. When I did, I chuckled.

Those speakers are from a modern "boom box" or "tabletop hi-fi." Many (probably most) of these devices rely on equalization to compensate for baffle step and bass rolloff. I have actually measured the carcasses of several similar units and they all employed custom equalization with the "tone" setting (digital crap with tone options like "concert hall" ad nauseum) on "optimum" or "flat." So they are only "optimum" or "flat" when you use a unit that's matched to the speakers.

So what does this mean for our original poster? It means that if he uses these speakers with a standard "hi-fi" amp or his Tripath, there may be a prominent baffle step and/or thin bass response. This may or may not be easily remedied by turning the bass control up.

So bwolf, I recommend that you listen to these speakers on a component system, a "real" hi-fi (or mid-fi) system - not a boombox. This will give you a clue as to whether baffle step or deficient bass will be an issue.

I applied the custom equalization concept to some old Bose 301s I have and it really waked them up. I got the idea after measuring these dumpster units. I just did some listening tests with an old Audiosource equalizer I have, then build a simple analog tone filter that goes in the tape monitor. It works really well because it has no controls; it just turns on with the amplifier.

Driving high watt speakers w/lower watt amp?Hide this!Advertise here!