Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

PC Speaker electronics to amplifier conversion
PC Speaker electronics to amplifier conversion
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2016, 01:57 PM   #21
BasicHIFI1 is offline BasicHIFI1  Sri Lanka
diyAudio Member

This is very interesting - details?
Old 28th March 2016, 09:32 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Saw your amp. Very brave to mount it on a CD. I like the way you put the power supply inside the case, but what do you think of fire hazards -

TDA 1519AQ
Old 29th March 2016, 10:39 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Update: it is possible to run the amp off a 9V DC suppy. Tested with a 9V battery and it works.

I will be installing the electronics in a larger amplifier case.
Old 29th March 2016, 11:18 AM   #24
OffGridKindaGuy is offline OffGridKindaGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

I tore apart a set of Sony computer speakers and stole the amp. The power supply was a 9 volt D.C. wall wart. I use a LM7809 regulator for a cheap way to operate the amp from my 12 volt house battery. Not the most efficient regulator but it was easy to find and use at the time..

The D.C. input to the regulator can be anywhere between 10 to 32 v.d.c. and will handle a 1 amp load with a heat sink. In most cases with small amps, the heat sink is not needed..

I found these little guys and have used them many times. Very reliable and versatile. Shop around and you can find them much cheaper..

10pcs RC Airplane Module Mini 360 DC Buck Converter Step Down Module 4.75V 23V to 1V 17V 17x11x3.8mm New LM2596-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 29th March 2016, 01:38 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Nice to see some pictures if you have them. I take it you are off grid - so the low power amp makes a lot of sense - and a lot of noise for a small amp.

Edit- Noise means music output not the bad kind.
Old 29th March 2016, 01:57 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I took one of these and made a portable test amp from it. It operated from 4-"AA" cells or 6 volts. I hot glued a LM7806 in the battery holder area and connected the output of the regulator to the proper battery connections. Took the speakers and housings off of the main case and ran a length of wires from the amp to connect to speakers. Worked out well..

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's one project that I did with the amp..

https://imageshack.com/a/XD0q/1

And yes.. I'm totally off the power grid and have been since 1989. Whole system operates at 12 V.D.C.

Last edited by OffGridKindaGuy; 29th March 2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: 'Cause I Could..
Old 30th March 2016, 12:58 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

So you made a boombox. I was thinking more on the lines of a mini-hifi system like these
Best mini hi-fi systems reviewed: Panasonic, Denon, Cambridge Audio and more (Wired UK)

Its difficult to maintain an entire family off grid, the TV becomes an essential item.
Old 30th March 2016, 02:24 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

If you have a design for an amp/source combo, you can connect to many different types of standard house speakers. That little ElCheepo that I converted was , at one time for giggles, connected to a large set of Klipsch floor standers. The amp just increases the noise that you put into it. You have choices of what to connect the amp to. Just use your imagination and play within the limits of the amp..

You'll love this. A bare bone $.34 - 5 volt chip amp (3w/Ch.) with a USB Bluetooth receiver as the audio source driving 4 Kenwood surround sound speakers. (4 Ohm/Channel) 2 bank batteries can make a lot of noise! Sounds impressive..

https://imageshack.com/a/IZw4/1

I have a 74" projection TV/DVD system in my living room. It draws ~7 amps through a 12-19.5 volt converter from my battery. I use a Jensen motorhome head (AWM975) for the audio/video which drives 4 speakers. (2 Klipsch and 2 RCA) All remote control..

I also have a 19" TV/DVD combo in the bedroom mounted to a hinged arm above the bed. 2 Sony speakers mounted to the ceiling with a Lepai LP-808 amp. Source is the TV headphone jack through an isolation transformer to avoid ground loop issues. (They both power from the 12 v.d.c. house battery direct) Amplified outdoor antenna system supplying both..

The imagination is a beautiful thing..

Last edited by OffGridKindaGuy; 30th March 2016 at 02:45 PM. Reason: 'Cause I Could..
Old 31st March 2016, 06:40 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

All this off Solar power? Impressive. I am looking into going for a daytime solar system to reduce costs - maybe discuss this on the Everything Else - diyAudio ?
Old 31st March 2016, 01:17 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Sure.. Get a thread going. Maybe we can draw out some others around here that are using solar or other power sources..

Most every project I build is battery powered and portable. I only have one 120 v.a.c. power strip connected to a 400 watt inverter. Might use it once a week.. (Or when I'm soldering)

I've purchased brand new audio items, took them home and immediately torn them apart to convert them. Makes my wife cringe..

PC Speaker electronics to amplifier conversionHide this!Advertise here!