Conversion of linear to log pot using resistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I tried this with my homemade amp a short while ago after getting some new 100k POTs that are linear type B ones since my original became quite scratchy and was cutting out from being a used part.
Put a 47k resistor from the middle POT pin to ground of it in my circuit and it performs surprisingly well.
Is it log? Hell if I know, but it does ride the volume up much more slowly until it reaches a point where ears and linear pots don't match and it ramps it up properly to my ears.

I made sure to first do a line load test and put a 47k resistor across the line inputs to my amp with volume at max and input set low and dumped the 47k across it and it didn't decrease volume level so there seems to be no issue with pull-down or impedance issues.

Curious how many of you have done this to convert linear volume potentiometers to pseudo log types and your experience.

For those lost to what I am talking about here is some essential reading in my opinion..
http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

Last edited:
47k is to large of a resistor on a 100k pot if you want to emulate an audio taper, it should be more like 10k to 20k. More info here: Potentiometers (Beginners' Guide to Pots)

Mike
Well in this case I kind of like the effect between the low and high value.
Regular linear POT has too large of a non-log effect.
Resistance values below 35-47k seem to have too high of a jump from smooth to loudness.

I figure it is kind of between extremes. Maybe it is the loading on the input to the volume control or something else along the path, but it just sounds right with half the value of R across the POT volume control.

Below 35k or so I start to notice some volume loss on full dial volume also, so it may be a trade off.

I tried 15k and 22k and they made little difference. The detrimental point seemed to be below 15k and above 47k when it came to making it sound smoother to the ear when playing with the volume dial. I figure there is a bit of play there considering the wide variance in resistance on the POT.

Last edited:
Most Sources can drive 10k and the cable.
That gives one a lot of leeway in choosing a vol pot.

Take a 100k vol pot feeding a 47k Rin amplifier.
When turned up to max volume the Source sees 100k||47k||cable capacitance or about 32k||500pF

Adding on a 15k log faking resistor changes the loading to 100k||47k||15k||cable capacitance or about 10k||500pF

Any competent Source should easily drive that loading.
If not then buy a new Source with adequate cable driving capability.

The cable probably draws more current than the 10k equivalent.
The 10k only draws 0.3mApk on typical CDP @ 0dBfs.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Loading a pot to get a nice taper was routine in top-notch studio consoles. Yes they need maintenance but they got a LOT more wear than any home gear's knobs.

And DIY is not always "forever". Try it now. If it craps-out in 2029, try something else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.