Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Battery power/power supply from wall charger for BT speaker
Battery power/power supply from wall charger for BT speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2015, 01:42 PM   #21
OffGridKindaGuy is offline OffGridKindaGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

A standard 12 volt D.C power supply usually runs ~13.7 volts. The battery I suggested above has charge protection built in..

I bought a handful of these to charge from my home battery. The voltage is regulated to 12.6 volts, the same as the provided factory chargers..

10pcs NEW Mini 360 4 75V 23V to 1V 17V DC DC Buck Converter Step Down Module | eBay
Old 1st July 2015, 01:47 PM   #22
satx is offline satx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGridKindaGuy View Post
A standard 12 volt D.C power supply usually runs ~13.7 volts. The battery I suggested above has charge protection built in..

I bought a handful of these to charge from my home battery. The voltage is regulated to 12.6 volts, the same as the provided factory chargers..

10pcs NEW Mini 360 4 75V 23V to 1V 17V DC DC Buck Converter Step Down Module | eBay
Ok. So you're saying that the built-in protection negated the need for a smart charger in your case and they can just be charged from a normal power supply, or in your case, your home battery?

I did look at some of these batteries with the on/off switch and dual leads, but for some reason I was weary of the quality of them. Probably irrationally so!
Old 1st July 2015, 02:03 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Those little boards I suggested have an adjustable output from 1 to 17 volts. The input can be at least a volt above your desired voltage up to 23 volts. My home battery can go as high as 14.2 volts during the day, which is a little high for those batteries. I regulate to 12.6 volts. This level is the same as the output of the chargers that come with the batteries..

You could use any power supply between 13-23 volts D.C. with that little board and adjust to 12.6 volts to charge with. The batteries have charge protection built in. I use them all of the time for my portable stuff..
Old 1st July 2015, 02:08 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Ok, I see two or three ways I can wire this with a LI battery.

1) Battery power is the only thing connected to the modules. It'll either charge/float when plugged in and the unit is off or and switch to battery power only when switched on, unplugged or not.

2) Connect the battery ground to the disconnect pin on the female dc jack and wire it so that when it's plugged in and switched on it runs from the PS. Unplugged and switched on it uses battery. plugged in and switched off it charges.

3) Wire power supply, battery and components in parallel and trust the batteries protections to do their thing. This is assuming that the batteries can charge on a normal power supply.

Thoughts?
Old 1st July 2015, 02:10 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGridKindaGuy View Post
Those little boards I suggested have an adjustable output from 1 to 17 volts. The input can be at least a volt above your desired voltage up to 23 volts. My home battery can go as high as 14.2 volts during the day, which is a little high for those batteries. I regulate to 12.6 volts. This level is the same as the output of the chargers that come with the batteries..

You could use any power supply between 13-23 volts D.C. with that little board and adjust to 12.6 volts to charge with. The batteries have charge protection built in. I use them all of the time for my portable stuff..
Thanks. So with a 12v regulated power supply I wouldn't need a step down regulator correct? You just need it because of your battery to battery charging scheme?
Old 1st July 2015, 02:13 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx View Post
2) Connect the battery ground to the disconnect pin on the female dc jack and wire it so that when it's plugged in and switched on it runs from the PS. Unplugged and switched on it uses battery. plugged in and switched off it charges.
Scratch this one. I think the disconnect only works with a separate charging setup so I would need two power supplies/chargers and two dc jacks. too bad because this seems like the best option
Old 1st July 2015, 02:19 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx View Post
Thanks. So with a 12v regulated power supply I wouldn't need a step down regulator correct? You just need it because of your battery to battery charging scheme?
That's what the little board is for. Connect your source power supply (12 volt regulated) and adjust the output of the board to 12.6 volts. Connect to the battery and WALA! Real simple..

Most all 12 volt regulated supplies run ~13.7 volts. That's a tad too high to charge the LiPo's safely. The chargers that were supplied with the batteries I purchased has an output of 12.6 volts @ 500 mA. I have no A.C. voltage source in my house so I had to connect to my battery.. (My home is totally a 12 V.D.C. system)

Last edited by OffGridKindaGuy; 1st July 2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 1st July 2015, 02:30 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

How long do your LI batteries take to charge what kinds of run time are you getting?
Old 1st July 2015, 02:37 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Icr 18650 Li-ion Battery Packs 3s1p 11.1v 2200mah With Protection - Buy 18650 Li-ion Battery Packs 3s1p 11.1v 2200mah With Protection,Icr 18650 Battery Pack,11.1v Li-ion Battery Product on Alibaba.com This battery for instance has built-in protection and balance, yet they recommend their smart LI charger and say never to use a regular dc power supply.

Is the power supply warning just because it needs a step down regulator?

And why would it need a smart charger if the battery's already smart?
Old 1st July 2015, 02:45 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I can charge one over night. (6-8 hrs. 6.8 aHr.) This isn't a fast charge but it's easier on the batteries.

I can daisy chain 2 and run for 6-8 hrs. with a Lepai 2020A at decent volume easily..

Battery power/power supply from wall charger for BT speakerHide this!Advertise here!